Baby Beardie closing one eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i’ve had my baby for about 3 weeks now, and this morning he just started keeping one eye closed. Not sure why.. Is this normal? is he ok? i thought he’d stop after an hour or so but nope... he does open the eye occasionally but closes it again

full

full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a behavior they exhibit occasionally. We had a thread going here years ago that I started in regards to theories as to why they do this. The theories were numerous lol.

As long as your lighting and husbandry is proper, it's not a worry. if lighting is improper it could be a symptom of that.

-Brandon

Colbycheese

Original Poster
he’s still been closing his little eye for basically most of the day.. opening it now and then. I took him out to look at his eye, it looks like he’s not closing it all the way, just a small sliver of either his eye looking out or something in between his bottom and upper eyelid. unless that’s just how they close their eyes
Should I be concerned?

Colbycheese":n2yn8c88 said:
he’s still been closing his little eye for basically most of the day.. opening it now and then. I took him out to look at his eye, it looks like he’s not closing it all the way, just a small sliver of either his eye looking out or something in between his bottom and upper eyelid. unless that’s just how they close their eyes
Should I be concerned?

I just got my beardie about a month ago and he would do this way too often. I've switched up the lighting a few times, at one point I had a basking bulb which produced UVA & UVB about 7" inches away from his spot. This was way too hot for him. Ive since changed it to a 75 Watt UVA and reworked the basking area. Now he'll only do it when hes basking and gaping. More of a sign that hes comfortable from what I read so I think it did the trick. Can I ask what your light setup is? and your tank/basking temps?

Colbycheese

Original Poster
I believe my baby has been closing his eyes because he just started shedding his face :)

He’s in an 80 gal, 100 watt lamp, basking spot gets around 90-100, i haven’t taken cool side but i assume around 70. UVB is Reptisun T8 22” tube bulb with reflector hood. He can get as close or as far to the bulb as he wants. Do you want me to send a picture of his tank?

Colbycheese":sene3hig said:
I believe my baby has been closing his eyes because he just started shedding his face :)

He’s in an 80 gal, 100 watt lamp, basking spot gets around 90-100, i haven’t taken cool side but i assume around 70. UVB is Reptisun T8 22” tube bulb with reflector hood. He can get as close or as far to the bulb as he wants. Do you want me to send a picture of his tank?

I am so sorry for taking this long to respond! I honestly forgot about your thread :|
Hopefully the shedding was the cause of the problem?
Your tank setup sounds like it shouldn't affect his eyes very much unless the bulbs are defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom