baby beardie always seeing himself in reflection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moby666

hello! this is my first post on here i've been lurking awhile but i haven't seen anyone answer this question:

ive had my ~3 month old moby for almost a month and sometimes i catch him staring at himself in the reflection of his glass enclosure. sometimes he'll fight it, (not intense, he's like a dog pawing at a window lol!) but for the most part he just gets close to the glass and stares at himself. he doesn't have stressmarks/blackbeard so i don't think it bothers him too much. will he ever get used to his reflection? maybe when he gets a little older? i keep him in a 40 gal tank and he's only ~5 inches, so i don't think the glass surfing is him trying to escape. he's doing fine otherwise! eating well, pooping everyday, etc. does anyone know anything about this?

thanks!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
My best guess is that at this age/stage, he''s trying to figure out if it is another dragon--either potential competition or prospective mate.

i haven't seen anyone answer this question:
Perhaps you haven't been looking in the right place(s)?
If you google: bearded dragon reflection you'll find a lot about it.
If you scroll down a bit in that link, or check the archives, or scroll down this page to Similar Topics (below the ads), you'll also find this discussed on this forum. :wink:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If its stressing him out you can put up some sort of background like wall paper newspaper wrapping paper etc---- put it on the outside of his tank --
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":262wprat said:
If its stressing him out you can put up some sort of background like wall paper newspaper wrapping paper etc---- put it on the outside of his tank --
Karrie

I recommend a lighter, busy patterned background rather than a dark solid one. Dark solids reflect images better--more like a real mirror, while light busy patterns/pictures break reflections up, making them harder to see (Try it in a window :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom