Baby bearded dragon tail problems?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I recently bought a baby bearded dragon 6-8 inches long, I am pretty sure she lost the tip of her tail because it bas black and now its gone, her tail is in shed and I've been giving her baths but another chunk of her tail looks like its going to fall off! Picture below!

88303-9844893189.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's hard to tell with the shed going. I'd monitor the tail until the shed is done. If it looks like it's healed over after that, it shouldn't cause an issue. If it continues to look crimped and the damaged area is progressing up the tail, I advise going to an experienced reptile vet because an infection spreading could cause severe problems if not addressed properly.

dragonlover04

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1319srzb said:
It's hard to tell with the shed going. I'd monitor the tail until the shed is done. If it looks like it's healed over after that, it shouldn't cause an issue. If it continues to look crimped and the damaged area is progressing up the tail, I advise going to an experienced reptile vet because an infection spreading could cause severe problems if not addressed properly.

Im going to try povidone iodine, ointment and maybe Johnson's Baby Lotion Shea & Cocoa or something to moisturize. Iv'e been doing 1 warm soak every 1-2 days and its not really gotten better I just noticed the black tip fell off though. Her legs are also starting to shed but I think the tail is going to shed again soon too. The problem was the leftover shed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes stuck sheds can just cut off circulation and cause that issue. It's good that you're going to moisturize it. Even some plain aloe should do the trick.

dragonlover04

Original Poster
CooperDragon":qzrwavpr said:
Sometimes stuck sheds can just cut off circulation and cause that issue. It's good that you're going to moisturize it. Even some plain aloe should do the trick.

I got the baby lotion ill be giving her the proviodine solution bath later on in the day and after that could I use the coco butter and aloe baby lotion?

dragonlover04

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1tm60fp9 said:
Yeah that should be OK.

Also he might not be eating enough most days he will only eat 10-12 sometimes he will only eat 5-8, do you think he's eating enough? He eats small and medium crickets, dubia roaches are illegal in Canada so I can't get him those but is there anything else he can eat like dubias? I also sometimes feed him a hornworm or butterworm every week or so as a treat, I'm getting a scale soon probably, so ill soon be able to track his weight!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His appetite will fluctuate so that's OK. Just offer until he seems done. Some days will be a lot and others a little. Having a scale to track his weight will be helpful. Tropical roaches are banned in Canada so you'll want to stick to crickets and things like black soldier fly larvae as far as bugs go. Hornworms and butters are OK as a treat too (more so the hornworms).

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Phoenix worms are the name I've seen here in Canada for the black soldier fly larvae. They are great but could be expensive. I haven't found a breeder here yet but I'll ask at the local Reptile society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom