Baby bearded dragon isn't eating, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been about a month since I got my bearded dragon and she (I call it a she) hasn't been eating much! This greatly worries me. Is it still relocation stress? At the beginning, she would eat about 3-4 crickets/daily and now I'm not even sure if she eats anything. I offer a variety of stuff such as crickets, dubias, and phoenix worms. As for veggies, I used to handfeed her mustard and collared greens, but it was suggested I stop and just let her eat on her own in her veggie dish, but she doesn't touch them either. She isn't aggressive at all and is really docile. She has been exploring more and seems curious.

I filled out that form I see a lot in this forum in hopes someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

How old is your dragon? I got her about a month ago and she was six inches long. I wanna say she was six weeks when I got her?
How long have you had your dragon? One month.
How long is your dragon? About 6.5 inches. I think she's only grown half an inch in the month I got her.
What is the sex of your dragon? No idea, I call it a girl.
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 18 inches wide, 18 inches tall and 36 inches long.
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Slate tiles.
Do you use UVB lights? Yes.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Mercury Vapor bulb.
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Zoo Med Powersun 100W
How old is your UVB bulb? Just got it two days ago.
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located? I read that with MVB, they have to be 12 inches away. I have a log propped up diagonally in the corner on the side where the UVB is.
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? same bulb
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? None.
How long are lights on each day? 12 hours.
What are the basking temps? I just measured it and it's 109 degrees.
What is the cool side temp? Cool side is roughly 80 degrees.
What is the night time temp? 70 degrees.
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? I use both a digital thermometer with a probe and a temp gun as well to double check.
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? I point the temp gun at the log she basks on. The digital thermometer is placed near it too.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No. I have a heat pad, should I use it?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. I feed her collared and mustard greens, sometimes a bit of squash and bell peppers. As for protein, I offer crickets, phoenix worms and dubias (all smaller than the width between her eyes).
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? I used to offer her food an hour after her light goes on and then again at 3 pm, but she never eats. I put a bowl with her bugs and show it to her daily. There's also a bowl with veggies too.
How many live feeders do you offer at time? I put about 10 in the bowl and they're rarely eaten.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? I do with Flukers orange cubes. I also bought those colorful baby bearded dragon balls and the Nature Zone bites that she also doesn't eat, so I feed them to the crickets and worms.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Herpivite and ReptiCalcium.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? She does poop daily, so this is a good sign, but it's a small amount of the white and black part.
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? I bathe her every two to three days. She doesn't like them much, but I still give them.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? I heard misting isn't good? Sometimes I'll put water on my hands and then drop the droplets on her head.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No.

Thanks! Lemme know what I can do!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
First I wouldn't offer kale. It bind calcium. Collards, turnips, and mustard greens are good. Don't use the heat pad. Beardies can't feel heat through their bellies and it can easily cause a burn.

My suggestion is partition some of her cage off because the vastness of the cage might be too big and intimidating to her. Once she gets older and bigger you can drop the partition.

w0554096

Juvie Member
Hello,
Were you using a UVB for the first month that you had her? If so, what kind was it?
I would reccomend getting a fecal done on her. Sometimes worms and parasites will affect their appatites even if their poo isn't super runny/smelly. It's always good to get a fecal done on a new dragon once they've settled into their new homes as well.
In the mean time, you can try offering her some chicken or turkey baby food, as well as making a slurry of her greens with a bit of calcium/vitamins mixed in.

uberglasses

Original Poster
w0554096":1sh8459r said:
Hello,
Were you using a UVB for the first month that you had her? If so, what kind was it?
I would reccomend getting a fecal done on her. Sometimes worms and parasites will affect their appatites even if their poo isn't super runny/smelly. It's always good to get a fecal done on a new dragon once they've settled into their new homes as well.
In the mean time, you can try offering her some chicken or turkey baby food, as well as making a slurry of her greens with a bit of calcium/vitamins mixed in.

Yeah, I was also using the same Powersun 100W, but it burnt out within a month! I got another one the same day. I'll definitely look into a vet soon.

uberglasses

Original Poster
I made some changes to my enclosure such as partitioning half of it off, taking off the mesh screen and buying a light bracket to hang over the enclosure. I also did some research and it turns out the distance from a Powersun MVB bulb is a lot more than normal long UVB lights (correct me if I'm wrong). I always thought my beardie should be within 6-8 inches, but Powersun MVB's distance is a minimum of 12 inches! So I quickly restructured Slayer's basking log to about 13-18 inches within range of the the UVB light. I hope and pray these changes will do something about her lack of eating. I was getting really, really worried, especially since she started to walk with her hands bend under her and some sites said that's a sign of MBD, which I do not want!

Let's see how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom