Baby bearded dragon eating a little but is round

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby bearded dragon (about 8 inches and a little over a month, maybe a month and a half) seems to eat about three-four worms/crickets and veggies in his feedings (he has two feedings per day) but seems to be round and alert; he even cuddles at night! I've also noticed that he pecks at the calcium left by the insects (I dust them with calcium and then reptivite once a week). I'm a really worried mom!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How long have you had him? If it's only been a week or 2 he probably has some relocation stress.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of worms are you feeding him? Do you have him housed on sand or another loose type of substrate?
He could be impacted possibly, if you feel he is too round. Do you have pictures of him?
What is your tank setup like?

Tracie

Your beardie rounding himself out is not uncommon. The two most usual behaviors for this is that he is cold and trying to absorb more heat fast and or is shedding and trying to the same thijg. Or he is slightly intimidated in someway and trying to make himself bigger. I would only be concerned if you have been feeding him crickets larger than the space between his eyes and if you can feel any hard bulges towards his vent (excluding his hip bones) and if you notice while he's resting his spine is contorted in a weird fashion. Another good sign is he is resting his back legs on something. I had a beardie that was at risk for impaction because my friend who was helping feed him gave him superiors I had that were too large. Really warm baths would help in poop. He'd actually let his back legs float and then do his business. I wouldntb be coming concerned unless you see these noticeable things.

colorfulbeardie

Original Poster
destiny1998":h5tjw9q2 said:
Hi. How long have you had him? If it's only been a week or 2 he probably has some relocation stress.

It's been about three weeks, but I noticed he is shedding, and the first week I had him he would eat perfectly!

colorfulbeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":1gfigco9 said:
Hello,

What type of worms are you feeding him? Do you have him housed on sand or another loose type of substrate?
He could be impacted possibly, if you feel he is too round. Do you have pictures of him?
What is your tank setup like?

Tracie

I am feeding him super worms ( I cut them in half) I actually have him housed in a solid substrate (newspaper), as the loose substrate would cause a problem!

colorfulbeardie

Original Poster
Linelife93":2wt7hm93 said:
Your beardie rounding himself out is not uncommon. The two most usual behaviors for this is that he is cold and trying to absorb more heat fast and or is shedding and trying to the same thijg. Or he is slightly intimidated in someway and trying to make himself bigger. I would only be concerned if you have been feeding him crickets larger than the space between his eyes and if you can feel any hard bulges towards his vent (excluding his hip bones) and if you notice while he's resting his spine is contorted in a weird fashion. Another good sign is he is resting his back legs on something. I had a beardie that was at risk for impaction because my friend who was helping feed him gave him superiors I had that were too large. Really warm baths would help in poop. He'd actually let his back legs float and then do his business. I wouldntb be coming concerned unless you see these noticeable things.

I thought it was impction so I did give him a bath, but he didn't poop at all; he is pooping quite normally without anything though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, so he most likely is not impacted then, if his stools are good sized & normally occurring daily.
I am glad to hear you have him on solid substrate, too. :D
Does he seem to have any trouble eating the superworms after you have cut them in half?
Post some pictures of him so that we can see his condition too, if you have some for us.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

You can also order custom sized superworms. I ordered 250 from rainbowmealworm.com but they all weren't under 1/2" but a lot of them were. Because I tried cutting supers in half and Bing would only eat the side of the worm still squirming.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
Sounds normal and healthy to me. And I'm an incredibly paranoid beardie owner lol.
Flattening or rounding is probably trying to take in more heat to digest or shed like previously said. What are the temps, basking and uvb setup?
Are you offering essentially as much as it will eat within a 10 or so minute time frame?
My beardie has pecked at and eaten the loose calcium plenty of times, I wouldn't concern over that. He doesn't anymore as much, I think he's learned it's not actual food lol.
My beardie I think was eating at least 30 small crix per day at that age.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how he is doing. :D If you need to review your tank setup with us, we can go over it to be sure it is all correct.

Tracie

colorfulbeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":15zs7fiv said:
Hello,

Ok, so he most likely is not impacted then, if his stools are good sized & normally occurring daily.
I am glad to hear you have him on solid substrate, too. :D
Does he seem to have any trouble eating the superworms after you have cut them in half?
Post some pictures of him so that we can see his condition too, if you have some for us.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
He has no trouble at all, actually! and, sure thing let me upload them.

colorfulbeardie

Original Poster
syoung27":2nrclvgo said:
Sounds normal and healthy to me. And I'm an incredibly paranoid beardie owner lol.
Flattening or rounding is probably trying to take in more heat to digest or shed like previously said. What are the temps, basking and uvb setup?
Are you offering essentially as much as it will eat within a 10 or so minute time frame?
My beardie has pecked at and eaten the loose calcium plenty of times, I wouldn't concern over that. He doesn't anymore as much, I think he's learned it's not actual food lol.
My beardie I think was eating at least 30 small crix per day at that age.

I tried doinf the ten minute rule, but he eats at his own pace, and so I have to wait until he does not want anymore, which takes a while.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are right, sometimes the 10 minute rule doesn't always apply if he isn't a very fast eater. LOL
Just give him the opportunity to eat his fill & that will be fine. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom