Baby Bearded Dragon - Doesn’t move when i’m in the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papayaxiii

Hey, So i got a beardy almost 2 months ago. she’s only tiny, maybe the length of my hand.

She started off ok, coming for food eating crickets from my tongs and ate some calcium worms from my fingers etc. then all of a sudden she is so scared of me. She won’t move when i’m in the same room as her. If i go out to work, i come home it’s like she’s had a party. She will have been digging holes, eating salad that i left in there crawling up the rocks etc. but then if i have a day off at work or in the evenings, she won’t move.

She loves her vines she will just sit in her vines, sleep in her vines etc. so when she’s in them and i get home i don’t see her doing anything, she stays in the same place all day every day.

I have tried to pick her up from the vines by scooping her, holding her under the lamp and stroking her back, talking to her but after some time she just runs off my hand and goes back to her favourite place. It’s like at the moment everytime i try to feed her by the tongs again or show her the bag of crickets, she closes her eyes and doesn’t show any interest. I started to take her out of her viv and put her in a separate tank when it’s feeding time so the crickets don’t get lost in her house, and she can run around after them and they don’t hide. when i put her in the new tank for feeding she freezes and i have to leave the room for her to eat any. and then i come back in and she’s all scared but she’s eaten them all and then she just freezes again and just stays there until i put her back in her house. i will try to hold her after food and stroke her where she will sit with me for about 15 mins on my hand under the heat and UV lamp and then runs off.

her set up is fine all the right temps, substrate, bulbs etc.

I was hoping someone could tel me if this is normal for a baby. she’s just finished her 2nd shed. but as far as i can see shes eating fine, pooping fine, but it’s like she’s just switched and doesn’t like me anymore and i’m just a bit concerned as to why this is.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can have erratic behavior such as that, because it does take time for
them to become accustomed to activity around them & are not always used
to being "watched". She will eventually get used to having you in the room
while she is exploring, eating, etc.
So yes, I would say that this is normal behavior for the youngsters but also
for some adults, too. She should grow out of it!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom