Baby Bearded Dragon Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

EthanS

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if baby bearded dragons brumate in the winter time I recently got a bearded dragon that I would say is about 2-3 months old and it likes to stay in it’s basking rock/cave and sleeps a lot I was wondering if this could be brought on by stress or just brumation there is also a second beardie in the cage with them but I plan on getting a separate tank for one tomarrow and the temps are about 80 degrees on the cool side and 110 on the basking spot. Thanks!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Babies do not burmate. There is something wrong with the environment. Glad you are getting it a separate enclosure. That is more than likely stressing him out. Hopefully he'll perk up in his new tank. Also how are you taking the temps and what kinds of lights are you using?

EthanS

Original Poster
I am useing a Reptisun 5.0 UVB and a Repti Basking 100w spot lamp both placed about 10 inches away from the dragons when basking and about a foot away when roaming around the cage along with a inferred heat gun to monitor the temp

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Is the reptisun 5.0 uvb a coil/compact (one that goes in a dome lamp) or a tube light. And is it mounted inside? Depending on if its mounted inside or outside on the mesh or a coil/compact lamp then that may be the main source of the problem.

EthanS

Original Poster
96077-9857456819.jpg
yes, it is a dome uvb setup that I purchased with the cage witch sits on outside on top of a aluminum screen over the bearded dragons. I have included a picture to help

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah thats the problem then, one of the problems anyway. If its not a coil bulb (spiral ones) and one of those straight types that are compact ones then keep it on until you get a reptisun t5 HO 10.0 tube light. Depending on the tank size usually 20-40 gallons 22" bulbs and 24" fixtures work.

The reason you need this bulb and not the other is because
1. Coil bulbs eventually blind beardies, their basically poison.
2. Coil/compact uvb bulbs dont produce barely any proper uvb, and basically none on top of a mesh screen.
3. They are almost entirely useless since the reptile needs to get within like 6-4 inches even if its mounted inside and provides no uvb across the whole entire enclosure.

You can get one cheap on amazon.

Okay thank you for the picture as well, i see one more problem, the way your monitoring temps. You need a digital temperature gauge with a probe or a temp gun. The reason for this is because the cheap stick on ones dont tell you what the actual basking spot is, that is if they even work. You need to know the basking spot surface temp rather than the air temp.

EthanS

Original Poster
Thank you for the help I’ll order 2 for both beardies and set them up as son as they get here and I will also separate the two dragons to help relive any type of stress or issues between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom