At what age can sex be determined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnsNova

My little Nova, who may need a name change... was born on July 3rd. I purchased him on September 15th. At that time the breeder checked and said "oh, it's a boy" as if he were pretty certain. Today I received an email from the breeder saying I should be probably be able to tell by now if it was a male or a female... ????
So, since Nova is just about three months old, would a male be apparent? I love my little one either way of course, I'm just curious.
I looked and didn't see any bulges at all, so my guess is female. Or, is it too early to tell with any certainty?
Sorry the pics are more clear, Nova wasn't exactly happy having his/her nether regions examined. lol

male13_zps8c77d028.jpg

male22_zps40bb94e3.jpg

male31_zpsb72d80c1.jpg

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Looks like a female. I sexed my Nim at two months and saw two definite bumps. I still see Nim's bumps at the age of five months. So he hasn't changed, LOL. :D Nova fits a girl better anyways. Love the name BTW. :D

Burra

Hatchling Member
Can you get a close up of the area on the tail above the vent? Straight on, the side views aren't needed. I can't see well enough on those pics, but at his/her age, it can still be difficult.

DawnsNova

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
I'll try my best to get a better focused picture, actually, to get Nova to hold still long enough. lol
I tried zooming and cropping the straight on pic, but it didn't help that much. I'll post again tomorrow.
And if it's a girl, she'll become Chevelle, my other favorite car that wears racing stripes. I'll save Nova for her future mate.
Thanks again,
Dawn

DawnsNova

Original Poster
Here are some clearer pics, I still guess female, but I, of course, trust the opinions of the knowledgeable people on this list.
tail1_zpsda71c98a.png

tail2_zps664a6aa6.png

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's one of the tricky ones. I would be inclined to agree, looks mostly like a girl except....see the tiny shadow on the left side above the vent ? If you take the picture again, try twisting the tail ever so slightly and it may reveal a small bulge. Sometimes just turning the tail a tiny bit, without hurting the dragon, will show the developing bulges.

DawnsNova

Original Poster
I tried your suggestion of gently, slightly twisting the tail a bit, no bulge at all.... Guess Nova, is really Chevelle. I'll get right to changing my avatar.. LMAO
Thanks everyone. Keep the opinions coming please, but even with my relatively untrained eye, I am going with girl. I can't believe the breeder mistakenly said male. Maybe with lighting at the show the underside looked different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom