Aspirated Water? - Solved and Healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpitaphREI

Hello,

I just gave my adult male bearded dragon a bath. In the bath, he drank some (but not an extreme) amount of water. When I took him out and was drying him off, he spat up some water and when holding him with his head down I could see it running out of his nostrils and mouth. He was also flexing his chest and beard. When listening closely to his head, I can hear a slight gurgling and the popping that indicated water in the respiratory system.

Now, he is still active and is not lethargic or anything like that. In fact, he seemed quite perturbed that I insisted on messing with him and was trying to get away. As of writing this, he is basking and is normal in coloration, with no stress marks or black-bearding.

Any information on what I should do would be very welcome! He scared me quite a bit!

NikTait

Hatchling Member
My adult male beardie also did that when we bathed him. We were very worried initially to see it coming out his nose and immediately started to worry about respiratory infections. But once he'd dried up or gotten out whatever he managed to aspirate or overload on, that was that and we've had no repeat incidents :) If it continues, then definitely take him to a vet because if he can't shift it then it could cause an infection or breathing problems. But if higher temps and a couple of hours sort him out, as it did for mine, then I wouldn't worry :) Just keep a close eye on him and watch for any signs of deterioration.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
If he does it again (my Tsam is inclined to) then "tea pot" him. Pick him up, tip him at a pretty steep angle, tail up, head down. This will drain off most of the excess fluids - you'll find it comes out his nose more than anything, so be prepared with a bit of tissue to help dry the poor guy off :)

As mentioned - keep close eye, as any infection will need treatment.

EpitaphREI

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips and reassurance, everyone. It has been two days since he coughed up the water, and he has not been making any noises when breathing since the evening of the day that it happened. I would have to say that he is back to his old self again!

As a little thanks, here is a picture of Legion being a happy (not coughing up water) dragon!

388567_4644658956853_2088826382_n.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he is very handsome!
A lot of them aspirate the water while in the bath. If you angle them downwards, usually that will take care of things.
I recommend though keeping his tank around 80 over night for a week or so, just to ward off any possibility of a respiratory infection for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom