Are routine checkups or expensive tests necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
We all know vet visits can be expensive, even more so when they have to run tests or take x-rays. It’s an unfortunate aspect of pet ownership that is some times tempting to try to avoid. An interesting case summary came across my feed the other day that is a pretty good example of why BOTH are a good idea and sometimes nessisary to properly treat an ailment, especially tests to find it what it actually wrong.

Sandi came in for a routine health check post brumation. On the physical exam, a swelling of one of the digits was noted. These kinds of swellings can be more serious than is often expected. A fine needle aspirate biopsy was taken but the results were inconclusive. As it is common to have the bone affected when there are swelling such as these, an X-ray was recommended to further assess. The underlying cause could be infections, trauma, metabolic or cancer. The X-rays showed the bone was involved, so it was elected to amputate the digit to treat the immediate problem and to send off to the pathologist for testing. In house blood sampling indicated Sandi was in good health prior to the anaesthetic and surgery.
The histopathology was returned with a diagnosis of a bacterial infection which was damaging the bone (osteomyelitis). The culture returned three different bacteria which requires two different antibiotics to treat. Pain relief was also used prior to surgery and during the recovery period. Sandi is recovering well and will be monitored for any further changes.
https://www.facebook.com/herpvet.com.au/posts/1486428194779880

Routine visits, while helpful to check your pets overall wellness, are also an important way for you to get to know your vet and if they are a good fit for you while your animal is healthy. You don’t want to wait until it’s an emergency to find out your vet doesn’t know much about dragons, that you don’t like them or the practice is gross.

Also, without a prexisting relationship with you and your pet (and often a physical exam) it is illegal for a vet to give medical or diagnostic advice, or to prescribe or dose medication.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that was caught relatively early! I agree with you that routine checkups are important in order to establish a relationship with a vet (it helps to have someone you trust to bring your pet to) and to set baselines so if something does appear out of whack it can be identified more quickly/easily in a lot of cases. Comparisons of blood work for example can help identify things like gout or organ failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom