Are Bearded Dragons "Exotic Pets"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancline

I'm moving to a new apartment shortly and have found a place but they prohibit "exotic pets." Without a set legal or otherwise definition of what constitutes as an "exotic pet" I asked the leasing agent if a Bearded Dragon counts as an "Exotic Pet." They're not sure but since it's a small-ish lizard they don't see how it could possibly destroy their property and that should be all that a leasing agent or landlord should be concerned with. But in my hunt I came across several apartments that specifically forbid keeping any type of reptile as a pet, which was odd in my opinion. Maybe they're afraid of it getting loose and scaring the pants off annother resident.

If I sign a lease with these guys and later on they change their mind and decide my bearded dragon is indeed an "exotic pet" what legal recourse do I have? Would I have to go to court and argue it's not an "exotic pet"? Hiw would I prove it's nit an exotic pet?

I think it's full BS that they put in the clause no "exotic pets" because to me that just means they can decide whatever pets you can or can't have. For instance a Burmese Cat is an exotic cat breed, would I not be allowed to have one of those even though they allow cats and digs?

Whatever happens, abandoning my baby lizard is NOT an option. I found annother place that's smaller and more run down that will allow me to have reptiles, and I'll go live there if I have to.

tylirthetiger

IMO, any animal that is not considered a "domesticated" animal is exotic. From a legal stand point, I would make them add a clause that states your dragon is an approved pet.

We had to state which reptiles we had by size & species for our lease, but this way there's no argument on what animal isn't allowed here.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
technically, yes, it is an exotic pet. Even though it is commonly found in pet stores, never wild caught, and is fine in captivity, it is still exotic. Basically, anything OTHER than your standard cats and dogs, everything else is exotic (birds, reptiles, gerbils, etc)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like a blanket description that gives them the leverage to boot you if they feel need to do so. A dragon could be considered an exotic pet but they may choose to ignore the clause if there isn't a problem. If you really like the apartment, I would make the case that a dragon poses no threat to the value or safety of the property and request that an amendment/specific exception be made for an existing pet before you move in. From a landlord's perspective, they want to keep the apartment clean and safe, minimize risk of damage, and keep the apartment occupied to generate income.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
JessPets":puae7xy2 said:
technically, yes, it is an exotic pet. Even though it is commonly found in pet stores, never wild caught, and is fine in captivity, it is still exotic. Basically, anything OTHER than your standard cats and dogs, everything else is exotic (birds, reptiles, gerbils, etc)
If your goin by definition it's this ^
Exotics includes even common domestics like rabbits IRCC.

Besyyou can do is get your lizard exemption on the lease.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Taterbug":3v95lymc said:
JessPets":3v95lymc said:
If your goin by definition it's this ^
Exotics includes even common domestics like rabbits IRCC.

Besyyou can do is get your lizard exemption on the lease.

Well, honestly, rabbits CAN be exotics. If you go to a regular vet with a sick rabbit, they might not know what to do...just my 2¢

Ancline

Original Poster
I just got an example lease from them today and there appears to be a place where additional terms can be written. Since the manager gave the green light for the bearded dragon (since it won't damage the property) I think they'll be okay writing that into the lease. I hope they will or else I'll be out $250 and have to see if I can get into that other small, rundown apartment really quick.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
If it's not written on a contract it wasn't approved because all reptiles are exotic pets. I doubt they are worried too much about a bearded dragon. But get it in writing.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":1oe9no55 said:
It sounds like a blanket description that gives them the leverage to boot you if they feel need to do so. A dragon could be considered an exotic pet but they may choose to ignore the clause if there isn't a problem. If you really like the apartment, I would make the case that a dragon poses no threat to the value or safety of the property and request that an amendment/specific exception be made for an existing pet before you move in. From a landlord's perspective, they want to keep the apartment clean and safe, minimize risk of damage, and keep the apartment occupied to generate income.

Advise the landlord it will live in a tank, makes no noise, wont annoy the neighbours, want damage the unit or furnature (in it) and it wont attack anyone.

SDragons

Juvie Member
Before signing a lease get it in writing that a bearded dragon would be permitted. You will be financially and legally tied to your written signed agreement. The landowner may be open to allowing bearded dragons. But a verbal agreement would need to be backed up in writing

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with what the others have said.

Years ago my bf at the time got kicked out of his place for having beardies and a snake. The landlord was actually an older couple, we got the wife to approve the animals during initial viewing, however a year later she denied giving approval when the husband found out about them. He took them to court and lost as you can't change a written contract with a verbal amendment, it has to be in writing.

Romicron

Where do you live? That will determine everything.

I can't speak for elsewhere, but according to Toronto municipal law and Ontario provincial code, there's a strange divide. Landlords can refuse to rent to you if you have a pet; however, once you're in a unit with a pet, you can't normally be evicted - "no pets" clauses are completely unenforceable here.

This leads to a lot of people lying on their rental applications, which I don't condone. Theoretically, you can be pet-less, sign the lease, move in, and pick up cats and dogs the next day, and the landlord is powerless.

There are three exceptions to this rule.

76. (1) If an application based on a notice of termination under section 64, 65 or 66 is grounded on the presence, control or behaviour of an animal in or about the residential complex, the Board shall not make an order terminating the tenancy and evicting the tenant without being satisfied that the tenant is keeping an animal and that,

(a) subject to subsection (2), the past behaviour of an animal of that species has substantially interfered with the reasonable enjoyment of the residential complex for all usual purposes by the landlord or other tenants;

(b) subject to subsection (3), the presence of an animal of that species has caused the landlord or another tenant to suffer a serious allergic reaction; or

(c) the presence of an animal of that species or breed is inherently dangerous to the safety of the landlord or the other tenants.

Residental Tenancies Act, Part II, 2006, c. 17, s. 76 (1).

So basically, no damage, no disturbance, no allergy, no problem.

If your rental agreement is all-inclusive, in good faith I would chip in a few extra on the rent to cover the extra power costs depending on your beardie's heat needs. I'm working that out with my current landlord next month. (I read a story one time about a guy keeping so many reptiles, the DEA busted down his door because they thought it was a grow-op...)

Laws in your state / province / country may - nay, will - vary.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A LAWYER. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. DO NOT MAKE LIFE-CHANGING DECISIONS ON THE BASIS OF WHAT SOME RANDOM GUY TOLD YOU ON THE INTERNET, AND SO ON.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I use to live in a rental home and my rental agreement said I couldn't have pets. But I told the landlord I had a few lizards. I had them write on the contract that they were allowed. I didn't mention that at times I had about 800 of them. I was breeding lots of reptiles so there were a ton of babies. I know the 800 number sounds unbelievable...but it's not an exaggeration.

Ancline

Original Poster
Romicron":e0ym1uls said:
Where do you live? That will determine everything.

I can't speak for elsewhere, but according to Toronto municipal law and Ontario provincial code, there's a strange divide. Landlords can refuse to rent to you if you have a pet; however, once you're in a unit with a pet, you can't normally be evicted - "no pets" clauses are completely unenforceable here.

This leads to a lot of people lying on their rental applications, which I don't condone. Theoretically, you can be pet-less, sign the lease, move in, and pick up cats and dogs the next day, and the landlord is powerless.

There are three exceptions to this rule.

76. (1) If an application based on a notice of termination under section 64, 65 or 66 is grounded on the presence, control or behaviour of an animal in or about the residential complex, the Board shall not make an order terminating the tenancy and evicting the tenant without being satisfied that the tenant is keeping an animal and that,

(a) subject to subsection (2), the past behaviour of an animal of that species has substantially interfered with the reasonable enjoyment of the residential complex for all usual purposes by the landlord or other tenants;

(b) subject to subsection (3), the presence of an animal of that species has caused the landlord or another tenant to suffer a serious allergic reaction; or

(c) the presence of an animal of that species or breed is inherently dangerous to the safety of the landlord or the other tenants.

Residental Tenancies Act, Part II, 2006, c. 17, s. 76 (1).

So basically, no damage, no disturbance, no allergy, no problem.

If your rental agreement is all-inclusive, in good faith I would chip in a few extra on the rent to cover the extra power costs depending on your beardie's heat needs. I'm working that out with my current landlord next month. (I read a story one time about a guy keeping so many reptiles, the DEA busted down his door because they thought it was a grow-op...)

Laws in your state / province / country may - nay, will - vary.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A LAWYER. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. DO NOT MAKE LIFE-CHANGING DECISIONS ON THE BASIS OF WHAT SOME RANDOM GUY TOLD YOU ON THE INTERNET, AND SO ON.

I live in Texas, so unless it's a service/therapy animal they can ban whatever animal they choose. Since I'm not petty enough to go to therapy just so I can force them into letting my have my dragon there, I think I'll just have them write it into my lease. As it is the lease looks nothing like what they told me in person on Friday so I wouldn't sign it now as it is anyways. Several things are wrong:
1. The move-in date is for 3/27/2017 which means I would have moved in yesterday but I know they wouldn't have let me because they're still working on the background check, and cleaning the apartment.
2. They said that I would pay $10 for liability fee to them each month on top of rent instead of purchasing renters insurance, the liability fee basically allows them to pay for insurance if I damage or flood the place. But my lease is stating I have to buy renters insurance, as well as the $10 liability fee. I think I may just pay renters insurance and have them stick their worthless liability fee where the sun don't shine. Since I'm pretty sure if I flood or otherwise damage the place they'd make me pay for it. What's a deposit for anyways?
3. They also have rediculous fees included I'm not going to pay if not necessary, $3 "administration fee" each month to handle the water bill, which I have to arrange to hook up and pay for myself, they literally have to do nothing, so the $3 fee isn't warrented. Also there's annother $2.95/month "administration fee" for handling trash pickup, which I already am going to have to pay an $8 to the city each month for anyways. I asked about any aditional fees or cost for renting and they told me "just utilities." $5.95/month in bogus administration fees does not sound like no aditional fees or costs other than utilities to me.

I'm suprised there isn't a $3 "administration fee" for my electricity bill too. Which I also have to arrange for and pay for each month allong with my water. Maybe since I'm the one administrating the connection and bill pay I can bill them the $3/month? Lol, jk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom