Are BD's sensitive to human emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Quick question: Does anyone out there think beardies are sensitive to human emotions and/or interactions? On Sunday, my husband and I were having a slight verbal disagreement, right in front of Angie's enclosure. All of a sudden, she started arm-waving at my husband, not stopping until we stopped arguing. Was she being dismissive to the tone of his voice or his attitude or was this just random?

sirenique

Hatchling Member
My beardie would arm wave at nothing, but I think they are somewhat sensitive to human emotion. I know that they're solitary creatures and yadda yadda yadda, but when I've cried before, Bones will run along his glass wanting to be let out and then he cuddles with me. I personally don't think it's coincidence that when I cry he wants to cuddle -- I think he knows I need it -- but to each their own. I get the distinct impression that some beardies as pets are more loners than others; much like some domestic cats are social and nice, and others are reclusive jerks. I try to keep my arguing around my beardie to a minimum because I don't want to stress him out, and I can only imagine what it's like to have two giant creatures screaming right in front of my residence. =P

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I agree with them being solitary creatures, but, if they weren't interested in interaction, why would they even allow us to cuddle them? If I'm holding either of my beardies and I am relaxed, for instance lounging in front of the television, they almost immediately relax and fall asleep. When there are a lot of people in the room where there vivs are, or the television is on a bit louder than usual, they also seem a lot more active.

Angie has only once before arm-waved in front of either of us, and that was after a feeding.

PS: Fortunately we don't have many disagreements: this one in particular was about where to put the lights in the new viv... :D

volvotech

Hatchling Member
Why would they tolerate interaction? For one, we're much larger. Two, we're warm. Three, food comes from us.

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
The other day, my husband was really upset because he was having trouble at work. He was sitting down, and my beardie went to him, climbed up him, and 'kissed' him on the lips. There was probably nothing behind that gesture, but still, it was cute and it made my husband feel better.

Plo Koon used to hide in his home when me and my boyfriend were arguing. I also think he could read my emotions. When I'm down he would cuddle up with me. :cry: I miss him

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
volvotech":26g022tr said:
Why would they tolerate interaction? For one, we're much larger. Two, we're warm. Three, food comes from us.

those answers also apply to all the reptiles who have very low tolerance of interaction as well.

TheDude

i imagine a lizard, much like a dog, could learn facial expressions and tones of voice, and understand the situation. its not that complicated of a thing.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
This is somewhat related, but I thought I'd share.
One night, I was sitting on the bed, with Curt chilling out on my upper leg. I have mitral valve prolapse (heart murmur where one of my valves flutters instead of open-shut like it should, pushing blood back into my heart.. when it does this, my heart skips a beat). He was calm as could be until my heart murmur started acting up (I'd had a bit of a stressful day), so my heart skipped a beat. Curt suddenly looked up at me when that happened. I thought it was coincidence until the same thing happened a few minutes later. He refused to leave my side for the rest of the night until he fell asleep on me.
So many people think that non-human creatures don't have emotions or that it's just instinct or coincidence.. I think that is complete BS if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom