Archie has gone crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEMSEMT22

My dragon is about 5 months old. In the last 2 weeks he has become very skiddish. He won't even let me go near him. I did put a new light on him, a 160 watt solar glo, and he is in a 55 gallon tank. I really want him to be friendly when he gets bigger...someone please help.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, a 160 watt MVB in a 55 gallon? That's a lot of heat. I have a 100 watt T-Rex in a 55 gallon and the basking temp is 106. How close is your beardie to the MVB? With that wattage bulb, he should be NO closer than 18". Also, are you using either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire with a probe on the end to monitor the temps? If not, I would suggest you get one of those right away as he is more than likely overheating and getting dehydrated. I suggest you get an accurate thermometer asap and also give him a bath in warm water, making sure his vent area (where he poos) is down in the water for at least 15 min. That will help to hydrate him.

If you are using a digital with a probe end now, make sure that you are laying the probe end so that it is resting on the basking spot, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising before you get the final temp.

This would explain why he is skiddish. How long ago did you put the MVB in his tank?

JEMSEMT22

Original Poster
The bulb has been in the tank for about 2 weeks. this is when he started getting like this. but before he was really sluggish and didn't move much. I am using a digital probe in the tank, but it always reads in the low 90's when the bulb is on, even in the basking spot. Do you think that it is the problem? I will try the bath today, if i can even get near him. Should i try some of that electrolite supplement that they have? Thank for your help.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since you are using a digital with a probe end now, make sure that you are laying the probe end so that it is resting on the basking spot, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising before you get the final temp.
Does your thermometer look similar to this?
100_0297.jpg

How close is the MVB to him? I do think the new bulb is throwing him a curve as they are stronger than other MVB's. If he is too close to it or you're not getting an accurate reading, that could very well be why he is acting this way. He could also be dehydrated, so it's very important that you give him a bath, which may also help calm him down. It's certainly not typical for him to be going from sluggish to this change in behavior. What happens when you try to go near him to pick him up, how exactly does he behave? If he opens his mouth to you, then have some greens in your hand to pop in his mouth & that will confuse him. You will need to be persistent on picking him up, it's very important. Then I would get another reading like mentioned above. Also, where in the tank does he spend most of his time? How is his appetite & his pooping schedule? What does he eat in a day? How often are you using calcium and vitamin supplements? Do you have any other beardies housed with him or in his view?

JEMSEMT22

Original Poster
The bulb is in a deep dome, on top of the screen. I did give him a bath yesterday, after taking 20 min to catch him. It did seem to help a little. I have never given him any of the electrolite stuff yet, although i did put two drops in his water dish last night. Yes he is opening his mouth when i try to get near him. I do think he is thirsty because when i was putting the water dish into the tank some spilled onto his rock and he drank off of it. Should i get him a water fall???? Should I put a 50 watt blue bulb on at night because it does tend to get cold in the house? He spends almost all his time on the HOT side. Thanks for your help!!!

jeitzen

Juvie Member
160 watt MVB for a 40 gallon? Do you have pictures of your setup? I had problems with a 160 watt powersun getting too hot in a 120 gallon.

JEMSEMT22

Original Poster

It's a 55 galon tank and i don't understand how the thermometer is only reading in the low 90's. I'm going to get a new one tonight. When i got home today he was much more friendly and let me hold him, but he was just laying around again like before. I did give him a bath yesterday like suggested and i watched him drink some water. How can it be possible that the temp is that low in the tank with a 160 watt bulb? It has to be the thermometer. I wish i could show you the set up, but i'm not sure how to do that.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you lay the probe end so that it was laying right on the basking log, then wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising to get the 89 degree reading? How far from the basking log is the MVB in inches?

About the waterfall, that is not a good idea because it would raise the humidity level too high which can cause an upper respiratory infection. You mentioned that he seems thirsty, have you tried putting drops of water on his nose with a plastic medicine dropper for him to lick off? That would also help with the bonding process.

How cold does the room he is in drop to at night? If not lower than 65 degrees, then you don't need any heat at night.

Could you also answer the questions about what he eats in a day and how often you are using calcium & vitamin supplements?

This will explain how to post pics so we can see the setup. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37103

JEMSEMT22

Original Poster
I feed him veggies, romaine lettuce, carrots, red peppers, and cucumbers. He also eats about 8-12 crickets a day, and i do gut load them. As far as the calcium/electrolite supp. I've only used it once and placed it into his water as directed. I bought a new thermometer yesterday and laid in on the basking spot for an hour and it still only read 90 degress....how is this possible. I'm not exactly sure how far it is away, but it sitting on top of the screen. He did let me hold him yesterday, so i guess we'll see what happenes tonight. I find it hard to believe that the temp is only 90 degress from a 160 watt bulb.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
You should probably offer him more crickets every day if you can. He could probably eat 50 a day easy.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry, but I have to ask again, does the thermometer you just bought have a long wire with a probe on the end and look similar to this?
100_0297.jpg

Even though it seems like you're not getting much heat from the MVB, since it is a 160 watt, it shouldn't be any closer than a minimum of 18 inches from where your beardie lays on the basking area. The bulbs put out a lot of rays which can be dangerous if too close. It's possible that the bulb is defective. You can do a couple different things, try using a 60 watt household lightbulb alongside the MVB (after you get the distance to the MVB right) then recheck the temps. You may have to move up to a 75 watt or drop down to a 40 watt depending on the temp. You should have a basking temp of about 100 to 110 for a 5 mo old. You also need to have a cool side temp of about 80 degrees. Second choice would be to order either a Megaray or a T-Rex and you can find those here: http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php But, I wouldn't go any higher than a 100 watt because those bulbs are strong and throw out LOTS of heat.

Since you're using a MVB and with a 5 mo old, you should be dusting his live food with calcium WITHOUT D3 but is phosphorus-free. If you didn't have a MVB, then you would use calcium WITH D3. Dust with the calcium 5 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins like Herptivite the other 2 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day. They need the calcium to help them grow right & the calcium dust & UVB light work together to process the calcium.

Here's a site that shows the best greens/veggies to feed: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html The veggies you're feeding now aren't really very nutritious and shouldn't be fed daily as you'll notice on that site.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I have to agree with Diamc,her advice to you is spot on so.I am very concerned about the wattage of that bulb your using in that tank.Something just doesnt make sense,either the bulb isnt working properly or you thermometer isnt working properly.How close can your beardie get to this bulb?Thats a huge amount of wattage he really cannot be within 18 inches of it.

Vicky

jeitzen

Juvie Member
How tall is the tank? I have a tank that's only 8 inches tall and its hard to keep warm. Thats the only thing I can think of besides what was stated above about the wattage or measuring device. But if thats really a 160 MVB for a 40 gallon be careful, you could cook him real easy.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
James, the OP is using a 55 gallon tank that is 19" tall. What's strange is that I have a 100 watt T-Rex in that same size tank & the temps are 106 and 79.9.

JEMSEMT22, he should want to be eating a lot more crickets a day as he is growing rapidly at that age. Have you tried feeding him 2 to 3 times a day & offering all the crickets he can eat in a 10 to 15 min timeframe each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom