Arcadia UVB Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
I'm looking to go away from my cheapo fluorescent fixture. I'm currently using a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb, but without being able to correctly mount reflectors on my fixture, I'm not getting the output I will need in my new and much larger enclosure.

I'm thinking about buying this:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-power-compact-24-watt-12-uv-flood-light-kit-with-up-converter/

Does anyone out there have any opinions on Arcadia gear? I hear Arcadia products are probably the best that one can buy.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion Cooper. Does your setup have a screen top or a hard top? I've been talking to Tod (awesome guy) about it all and he suggested the URL I posted as a first choice for my setup, and what you mentioned as a second choice. However, he warned me that that warranty would be voided if it burned out due to overheating in an enclosed setup.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a mesh top that I usually leave off except during high bug season. The fixture gets slightly warm but I can hold my hand on it easily. I wouldn't worry too much about overheating as long as you have enough space around it. It should sit about 12-14'' above the highest basking area.

Todd knows his stuff so his recommendation is likely a good one. I don't have experience with or test results from their compact bulbs though so I'm not sure about intensity or optimal mounting distance. I like to set the light so that it provides about 3-5UVI over the basking area. I also like to have that level at a radius that is at least as long as your dragon (a little more is better) so they can bask evenly. I also like having areas in the tank with low to no UVB to allow for self regulation.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sounds like you know quite a bit about UV exposure, I need to further educate myself on the topic. Do you use some kind of UV meter? If yes, what do you use? I heard they're pretty expensive, but good to have.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a Solarmeter 6.5 which measures UVI. I like it because I can directly compare sunlight to the output of the bulb. If you want to measure direct UVB output from a bulb and measure it's decay, you're better off with a Solarmeter 6.2. They are expensive but nice to have (~$200). Definitely a luxury item. There are a lot of test results available for the major bulb brands so you can go by those for mounting distances and output without having to invest in a Solarmeter. Uvguide.co.uk is a great source as well as the Yahoo UVB Meter Owners Group. The test results are available in a files section there. Taterbug has compiled a bunch of this info into an easy to read chart as well. The chart is available on her site here https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom