any other important info about bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3HUNNA

So im planning on getting a bearded dragon in the next couple of weeks. Ive done pretty much all the shopping, and have done several hours of research.

I have bought

40 gal breeder tank with lid
UVB and deep dome
heat lamp and dome
hammock
2 branches
thermometer
food and water bowls
hiding spot
rocks
spray bottle

I know that they need 12-14 hours of heat and uvb lighting a day, feed them greens and crickets, temp to be 75-90 and basking spot 95-105, yadadada

Just want to know if there is any thing im missing or if anyone has any good advice?
thanks

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
3HUNNA":1zgyfqef said:
So im planning on getting a bearded dragon in the next couple of weeks. Ive done pretty much all the shopping, and have done several hours of research.

I have bought

40 gal breeder tank with lid
UVB and deep dome
heat lamp and dome
hammock
2 branches
thermometer
food and water bowls
hiding spot
rocks
spray bottle

I know that they need 12-14 hours of heat and uvb lighting a day, feed them greens and crickets, temp to be 75-90 and basking spot 95-105, yadadada

Just want to know if there is any thing im missing or if anyone has any good advice?
thanks

What UVB do you plan to use? Most (not a all) compatable with a dome fixture aren't ideal for dragons.

3HUNNA

Original Poster
i use a reptisun 10.0 compact fluorescent bulb. and yes ive read they can cause eye problems, but the lady i bought it from runs a bearded dragon rescue. shes been using the same bulb for five years and never had any problems

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
3HUNNA":ae45g1kt said:
i use a reptisun 10.0 compact fluorescent bulb. and yes ive read they can cause eye problems, but the lady i bought it from runs a bearded dragon rescue. shes been using the same bulb for five years and never had any problems
I'm not sure if the reptisuns still cause problems with the eyes when setup right, but for a larger dragon the compact lamps don't give the best spread of light. As long as most of the body can be exposed when basking it should be fine.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I would recommend the reptisun 10.0 tube because the coils don't give off the proper UVB and can lead to eye issues or even MBD

I just wanted to add that make sure you do some in depth research on your UVB lighting. I would suggest a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent UVB. These are very trusted and have been tested. UVB is very important to reptiles. Another problem could be screen covers as they filter out almost half of UVB rays. Best to either mount UVB inside the tank using a cheap fixture from walmart or homedepot. They are called under cabinet fixtures. I can send you pictures of my setup if you would like. I can also explain how to mount the UVB inside your enclosure the best way. Another option is avoid a screen cover all together is possible. No cats or anything like that in your home because I cant avoid a screen cover due to a curious cat. Good Luck and I hope you buy your beardie from a trusted breeder. Be careful with petsmart, petco, and etc. Post some pictures of your new beardie!!!

The issue with compact fluorescent still comes up because it caused some severe issue in reptiles. I have used compact fluorescent in smaller enclosure but with a 40 gallon breeder you need either an MVB or a fluorescent UVB. Compact fluorescent were an issue years ago and most companies like zoomed have resolved the issue otherwise they would still have lawsuits going on. If you need any additional help please reach out because I hate to see people buy reptiles that do not do there research first. Beardies are easy to take care of but getting started can be complicated. Wish you all of luck!!!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
jasondrumma96":1eomew7b said:
Another problem could be screen covers as they filter out almost half of UVB rays. Best to either mount UVB inside the tank using a cheap fixture from walmart or homedepot. They are called under cabinet fixtures. I can send you pictures of my setup if you would like. I can also explain how to mount the UVB inside your enclosure the best way. Another option is avoid a screen cover all together is possible.

While I agree the tubes are better, it's worth keeping in mind a T8 tube in an under cabinet fixture puts out very little UVB compaired to other options now available, and next to nothing compaired to the Australian morning sun. I can't really recommend that configuration any more than I would a compact, but it's still technically viable. T5 and MVB lights can be put outside screen and at further distances so your pet doesn't need to live so close to a light bulb. Very fine fly-screen filters up to 50% but typical screen on reptile cages is a bit bigger a mesh and filters closer to 35%.

There is indeed a difference in newer fixtures compared to under cabinet. The only real difference is the reflectors inside that can increase UVB for use about screens. I use aluminum tape to help in that and mount UVB reptisun 10.0 about 12 inches from my beardie. For example a 17watt under cabinet fixture is going to be the same as a 17 watt fixture made by zoo med except not as fancy. Just keep in mind UVB is definitely very important. MVB bulbs are certainly by far the best choice but they need to be kept at appropriate distances.

As stated about there is so many better options compared to fluorescent now a days but they are still being used even by expert breeders. MVB is most likely the way to go for best results!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
jasondrumma96":28qk39ez said:
There is indeed a difference in newer fixtures compared to under cabinet. The only real difference is the reflectors inside that can increase UVB for use about screens. I use aluminum tape to help in that and mount UVB reptisun 10.0 about 12 inches from my beardie. For example a 17watt under cabinet fixture is going to be the same as a 17 watt fixture made by zoo med except not as fancy. Just keep in mind UVB is definitely very important. MVB bulbs are certainly by far the best choice but they need to be kept at appropriate distances.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I'd like to clarify this incase OP considers upgrading their light on the future. There are two formats of florecent tube, and they have major differences beyond fitting a reflector. A 24W T5 has nearly triple the output of a 17W T8, they are also visibly brighter. A homemade reflector will improve output but not to the extent an engineered reflector will.

Definitely agreed on! Also with the T5 HO bulbs made by zoo med are an excellent choice but you again need to be careful with distance and take into consideration that fixture and screen top. homemade will be similar but you get what you pay for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom