Another Tile Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Hatchling Member
So I have been fighting my BF on the subject of switching from play sand to tile and man...that boy isn't giving in! Our 3 and a half year old female LOVES diggin' and my boyfriend doesn’t want to take that away from her, and I can understand because she does enjoy it. My concern is the risk of impaction and the fact that, to me, it’s unsanitary. You may pick up their poop but there are remnants left behind that can’t be cleaned up. :puke: I had even came to a compromise and said we can do half and half; half tile, half sand/digging box. Our Herp Vet even said we could use soil with a digging box and its safer because it can be easily digested with no risk of impaction.

Anyways, I almost had him until he pulled another excuses out of his...well you know, and said "what if at night the tiles get too cold for her?!" Have there been any problems with this issue? I have seen so many beautiful tank setups with tile and haven’t heard anything bad about it. I know a handful of owners place blankies inside the tanks for their dragons to curl up/sleep with at night.

We just got a new baby beardie who is being kept on paper towels at the moment and soon either shelf liner, reptile carpet or TILES! It is nonnegotiable. :!:

Any info, all Pros and Cons on tile would be great.

npedersen

Hatchling Member
I use slate tile and have no problems. It is more dense and feels cold to the touch but if put a thermometer to it, it will read pretty close to the ambient temp. Kind of like an oven or freezer. You can put your hand in there all day long, well you know what I mean, but touch the sides and it'll burn you or it is too cold to handle. . . same temp. Try it, I recommend in the freezer, LOL!

Nick

Jennie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Nick. Haha my boyfirend said when he gets paid we will go look at tiles! Hopfully he will start to like it. :D

Jennie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh I forgot, If we do get tiles and have to have the cut, they are suppose to be cut a little smaller than the tank size right?

npedersen

Hatchling Member
I went alittle snug in mine but mine are almost permenant in my cage setup. If you want to remove them for cleaning yeah it would be easier to get them out obviously. I would just be careful of a gap too large that a toe or claw would get stuck. What I would do is but the open spacing toward the back and make a piece of trim that will fit snug that can be removed to open the space and get the tile out.

It's all personal touches. If you want permenant, I like to actually grout to spaces, then yes you will want to leave a gap at the edge.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom