Another rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
All done , and she's installed in her new bigger more spaceous digs now .

Up to her now.

Wriggles didn't like the bigger 100L tank , even when I lifted her out of her then 4.5L tub , she's be wanting back in to her cozy safe feeling tub. She was fine with going from 4.5L to 10L though.

Lucky was the same (he lived in his 4.5L tub the whole time I was treating him and his time after the vet thought he was in the clear and stopped his antibiotics.

Water skinks seem to like the smaller spaces, I guess they feel more secure in them.

If she don't use or like the extra space it's real easy to go back the 10L from the 100L (is actually for convenient for me too).

The F10ing wont go to waste , I guess I'll eventually buy another captive bred dragon (or two) , if I don't get anther little boy beardie , I also like netted dragons and rankins , or another skink or two (maybe a pair of shinglebacks) to occupy as babies / juveniles and the Toothless' tank and fittings will be ready to use and safely sterilized already.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Fluffy didn't climb out into the 100L tub when she woke up , my wife reports she saw her ontop her hide and looking with her arms and head dangling over the top of her 10L tub , she could easily have climbed out onto the overhanging taller fake rock grotto , and she looking here there and everywhere while my wife had breakfast , but she decided to stay put in her 10L tub .

So change of plan - she now goes into it overnight and in the morning, and spends the afternoon and evening in her 10L tub where she is easily accessible and she can see us and we can keep an eye on her ( she seems very curious about my wife and me and the BTs and Puff).
This way she will get UV from 6am til noon , maybe even 2pm if she wants it and if she decides to climb out of the 10L into the 100L she can if she chooses to.

She has been very hungry and active today, I believe the UVA is helping her already.
8 pupae + 0.3ml Critta Care today. She's ignoring the BSF lavae completely - no interest in them.

She has been very busy this afternoon , rearranging her furniture , pushing stuff about, only thing she hasn't moved is her water dish (which she loves sitting in and splashing about in).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like a good plan. I'm glad you're adjusting based on her responses. Glad to hear she's doing well too. Funny that she's rearranging her furniture.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
She hasn't climbed out of her 10L into to 100L yet, but has been seen up on the rim of her 10L tub looking it over .
She is really enjoying the warmed water in her fake rock water dish , spends ages luxuriating in it with her arms and head resting on the rim of her private "heated pool" soaking up the warmth ( gets nice and luke warm , and up to 34 oC ) and soaking up the UVA and UVB in the mornings.

I had to chase her out of her water dish this afternoon , as she refused to get out unless I gently coaxed her to climb out so I could lift it out and avoid spilling water everywhere. A few gentle nudges with the finger finally coaxed her to crawl out and she felt nice and warm.

I think the dilute honey on her lacerations followed by her long warm soaks in the mornings is helping her skin , is starting to look much nicer.

She now has a little short tail about 1cm long growing from her stump and she can move it and does so when touch it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Fluffy's new tail ( a work in progress ) , yes it's does wriggle .
PC030010.jpg

Tonight at about 11pm , Fluffy using my thumb as pillow
PC030014.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
She's so active now it's becoming very difficult to deposit the diluted manuka honey droplets on her eyes , there's nothing wrong with her sense of smell , I can have the syringe on the coffee table over 12 inches away and she'll be hunting for the source of the honey smell , I bring it closer to put a droplet on each eyelid and her nose is waving in all directions and her little blue tongue is flicking out and trying to lick the end of the drawing up needle on the end of the syringe.

Gee --- she LOVES the taste of that manuka honey , she's particularly keen on the 1:1 honey mix.

Only 4 pupae and I think she disappeared 2 BSF lavae too , yesterday.
Only a few today .... she's pooing 2x per day and they look good.
Still only interested in no more than 0.2ml of Critta Care + about the same of full strength manuka honey each day.
It doesn't take her long to come out of her hide when I deposits the live food in her tub , that super nose of her's tells her they are there and she comes out right away and then has the problem of choosing the pupa she'll eat first - I think she was overwhelmed by 10 pupae all at once yesterday, so I'll give her 2 - 3 at a time from now on.
Will also try her on some grated veg and softened lizard & juvie beardie pellet mix too , maybe mixed with some CalciVet.
I think she's worked out the feeding schedule and now knows the food will come every day.

I'm very pleased with how she's coming on - she's become so tame towards me that I think she's decided she quite enjoys her new life of luxury and she likes having a human carer / slave , that I'm a keeper , so I've decided to keep her and make a permanent home for her inside with us , so she'll be a pampered pet for the last half of her life.
When she is out to be fed the Critta Care & honey, and have her dilute honey treatment she crawls all over me and she's becoming very vocal , she loves crawling all over my hands and between my fingers, and has discovered my face and seems fascinated by my face and keeps on crawling up my chest to look me in the eyes.
Can't let her crawl past my chest yet , she's apt to head over the crest of shoulders and behind my neck and onto my back and she's not as tame towards my wife as Lucky & Wriggles were, she's likely to get scared if she tries to take her of my back and run away and hide.
My wife needs to start spending more time with Fluffy.

I'm hoping Fluffy gives birth to her babies about the same time our grandson visits next (either before Xmas or at Xmas).

His mom tell's us he's crazy about lizards, and gets very excited when ever the wild bluetongue skink that lives under their back steps and deck comes out to sun itself.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Wow. She looks beautiful! Huge improvement. It's amazing that she's growing a new tail already.

I'm glad to hear she passed the milestone of eating "solid food" by herself -- I was afraid she might be getting so used to getting "spoon fed" honey flavored goo by her new human slave that she wouldn't want to bother "hunting" anymore.

Vocal? What kind of sound do they make?

I guess you've got a new member of the family, with a few more on the way. :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":e3lor1fz said:
Wow. She looks beautiful! Huge improvement. It's amazing that she's growing a new tail already.

I'm glad to hear she passed the milestone of eating "solid food" by herself -- I was afraid she might be getting so used to getting "spoon fed" honey flavored goo by her new human slave that she wouldn't want to bother "hunting" anymore.

Vocal? What kind of sound do they make? <<<< my best description of her volcalisations are
>>> little short barely audible barks when she's exploring my hands and arms and chest and tummy , fingers in her way .... no problem , she simply bull dozes her snout through and pushes the fingers apart.
>>> I also heard little squeeks occasionally, but not too often, and these were her vocalization at the start when she was scared / not comfortable with being handled.

I guess you've got a new member of the family, with a few more on the way. :D

I had my wife sit next to me and place her hand where Fluffy could crawl onto it if she chose to.
Afterall , my wife is the one who saved Fluffy's life by picking her up and placing her in a paper lined cricket tub and by bringing to me to check her and then care for her.
Fluffy was curious enough to crawl over and sniff my wife's hand and let my wife stroke her back while she was still on my hand, and even let my wife tickle her under throat and chin - she likes that, but then decided that was enough and turned around and crawled onto my chest.

Fluffy needs a little more time with my wife .... this is just like Lucky was like initially , then Wriggles was like initially with my wife, - only comfortable on me (one human skinks) . It took a little while for them to become comfortable with her and then it was sessions of musical humans , snuggles on me , then crawl across to me wife and snuggles on her, and back again , is just a matter of time.

I am over the moon that she's taking live insects (mealworm pupae and the occasionally BSF lavae) and not needing to be hand feed , she is a very independent and assertive little lady.

Fluffy making a mealworm pupa disappear this afternoon
(blury but OK for no flash and through plastic)
PC050021.jpg

Nom nom nom ....

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Our corn snake does the same thing Fluffy does -- nudges his nose between my fingers. I usually say, "Where do you think you're going, Squirmles? I'm not going to let you slither off and disappear -- that's not one of the options." He likes to crawl up my sleeve too, but if I have a little hole somewhere in my clothes, he'll find it and crawl through it, so it can be quite challenging to keep track of him when he's out of his enclosure.

It sounds like Fluffy's well on her way to learning to trust your wife, so it probably won't be too long before she learns to play "musical humans" with the two of you. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thought I'd lost Fluffy this afternoon, had her on my chest on my T-shirt while I was on the phone answering a call and lost track of her , she's very active and was really enjoying crawling all over me and exploring , put the phone handset back and no Fluffy , never felt her crawl away (she's so light), next moment I felt her under my shirt and she poked her head out of my T-shirt's sleeve near my left elbow.... cheaky little bugger ....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's just progressing in leaps + bounds, isn't she ? And look at that tail.....it's really looking fluffy. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Ordered in some small silkworms just for her, will have them in a week ( they ship out on Tuesdays ).

The new batch of eggs will be hatching in the next week or so and it will take an month for then to grow to the size that's suitable for Fluffy.
Was thinking of getting in a batch of blowfly gents but they don't have a very long shelf life before they pupate and become flies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
kingofnobbys":rfjvks53 said:
Thought I'd lost Fluffy this afternoon, had her on my chest on my T-shirt while I was on the phone answering a call and lost track of her , she's very active and was really enjoying crawling all over me and exploring , put the phone handset back and no Fluffy , never felt her crawl away (she's so light), next moment I felt her under my shirt and she poked her head out of my T-shirt's sleeve near my left elbow.... cheaky little bugger ....

LOL I can so picture this - she's adorable! <3

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
This sounds like something our snake would do.

You've done such a good job nursing her back to health, so now she feels well enough to drive you crazy by getting into mischief. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom