Another lighting/tank question from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Hey guys. So i finally got Frank's new cage set up and have been looking through every lighting and enclosure topic here. I've also looked through the pics only thread and must say, you all have great looking set ups. Right now there is a Reptisun 5.0 on the cool side and a 100watt zoomed basking lamp on the warmer side. I'm going to get a reptisun 10.0 light and a proper temp. probe today, but am still confused on where his lights should be. His tank is 48"x16"x17.5"h with a glass section in the middle of the top, so a uv bulb going all that way across wouldn't make sense. My question is - should the reptisun light be on the hot side with the basking light and have just a florescent light on the cool side? I've seen posts complaining about all the lighting questions, and I tried to figure it out on my own, but I give up. I have a feeling that once the lighting is right, the heat will be corrected too. it's 75-80 in the cool side and 85-90 on the warm side, but this is with the stick on thermometers. Like I said, I'm getting proper temp gauges today, so I'll let you all know the actual temps later. Here are pictures of what he came with and then his new set-up. I got him from a friend who didn't want him anymore (he was her recent ex-husbands), he's about 3.5 years old.

his old set-up: it was 24"x24"x14"
005.jpg

His new set-up: 48"x16"x17.5"
008.jpg

And a close-up of Frank: His colors have already brightened up since switching him into the new tank. I've had him 2 days.
Anyone have a clue what kind/color type he is?
009.jpg
Frank.jpg

squral

Hatchling Member
one of the best ways i have found to set up lights through lots of research is to have a basking bulb this can be a bulb from lowes halogen works great, just as long as your balking temps are good around 100 to 110(a very nice and cheap thermometer to go with is an acurite at lowes). dont let the pet stores trick you into buying an expensive basking bulb that is really nothing special and are not brite enough anyway :angry5: sorry just had lots of problems with pet stores who know next to nothing on reptile husbandry. now for uvb this is the only bulb youll have to buy from a reptile supplier and iv'e found you can find almost everything else at lows for much cheaper. as long as you dont mind that it doesn't say repti on it ha ha :lol:. the best uvb source which you said you will be switching to and i applaud you for that choice is a reptisun10.0 and why not just skip the pet store all together and get them from a web site hear is a great website to get the from (much cheaper than a pet store) http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html and if you cant tell i don't care for petstores i wont name names (petsmart, petco) ha ha. mount the uvb on the basking side as this is where your little pooper spends most of his time around 12 inches away is optimal. for the cool side you can use a standard household 60 wat bulb to keep temps between 80 to 85. hope i have helped and if not im sorry that i am useless :cry:
ps i would ditch the sand as its impossible to clean and can cause impaction in beardies, they just like to lick everything :)
a good way to go is slate tile very nice and easy to clean, repticarpet looks nice machine washable, paper towel cheap ha ha

LJean

Extreme Poster
Basically you want the uvb light next to the basking (heat) light. They spend a good deal of time basking and will then get the uvb too. Hope that helps.

Leo123

How long was he in the 24"x24"x14"????????? he looked very depressed :(

In regards to your lighting issue, keep the uvb on your basking side as this is where he will spend most of his time.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you everyone! He was in the 24x24 for about three years would be my guess. The lady I got him from got him from a pet store when he was little and he's about 3 1/2 years old now, so he'd been in that one for a while. Already his color has come out. He was a plain tannish/white color when I get him, and now you can see that he's orange! I found a reptile specialty store nearby, LLL Reptiles in Escondido, CA and they were VERY helpful as well. I got the reptisun there for $19.99. I also got a MVB to try. They said that it would give UVB and heat. Since I am having such a problem with heat, I figured I'd give it a try. I just put some superworms in his tank and he seems interested. Hopefully the new lighting will solve most of my problems. Thanks again for everyone's help!

skimaniac6

I just switched from a repti glo 10.0 to a repti-sun 10.0 and as my wife said today he is a different dragon. I have found our baby loves Phoenix worms they are a bit pricey but he loves the afternoon treat. It sounds like your dragon is in good hands and I'm sure he will improve even more as time goes on. Just don't forget the baths, they really need water and it helps thier colors sooo much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom