Another how many thread: Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
I got Sonne last Friday, and he came with 20-30 Medium sized Dubias, he was eating around 4-6 twice a day. But I ran out. My problem is this now... I ordered 500 smalls.. but man-o-man are they SMALL! ha! I am wondering how many I should be feeding him? They are around 1/4" at most.. and I am trying to have him eat the smallest ones for now so the bigger ones can get bigger faster.

He was hatched on September 1st of 2012, and he is around 14"-15" long now.

He eats his greens(Bok Choy mixed with Mustard Greens) twice a day now, I dust them with that "dragon dust" supplement.

Also, give him daily baths, and his poops are very healthy from what I have seen so far.

Help would be great. :)

Thanks!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Welcome to the wonderful world of dragons and this site! And congrats on your first beardie.

You'll need more dubia, so check in the For Sale area, as there are people there who sell them for not that expensive. You should start a colony, you can ask the sellers what you would need.

At 5 mo old he should be eating 30 med sized dubia a day if not more, normally the rule of thumb is as many as he'll eat in 15 minutes. He needs that to keep growing as he won't be full sized until he's a year if not a big older.

What is the "dragon dust" you're talking about? He needs calcium powder, without phosphorus but with Vit D3 and a vit/min powder as well. One feeding a day 5x/wk with calcium, one feeding a day 2x/wk with vit/min. Both are to keep his bones healthy and also to give him all the vit/min he needs to stay healthy.

He's a good size for 5 mo old, but still needs good UVB (what type of light do you have for him) and a good basking temp on his basking spot, 102=105F is best for his age.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask, it's important they have a good set up for optimum growth. Good luck!

If there's

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1kd6qrum said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of dragons and this site! And congrats on your first beardie.

Thank you! Love this site!

You'll need more dubia, so check in the For Sale area, as there are people there who sell them for not that expensive. You should start a colony, you can ask the sellers what you would need.

I have been looking, but it seems no one has mediums :( I will keep looking though!

At 5 mo old he should be eating 30 med sized dubia a day if not more, normally the rule of thumb is as many as he'll eat in 15 minutes. He needs that to keep growing as he won't be full sized until he's a year if not a big older.

Well that isn't good, are smallish mealworms ok to eat to help fill him? They are gut loaded too.

What is the "dragon dust" you're talking about? He needs calcium powder, without phosphorus but with Vit D3 and a vit/min powder as well. One feeding a day 5x/wk with calcium, one feeding a day 2x/wk with vit/min. Both are to keep his bones healthy and also to give him all the vit/min he needs to stay healthy.

Will post pictures of their labels below. :)
But thank you for that schaeduel, I have been looking for one for ever now!

He's a good size for 5 mo old, but still needs good UVB (what type of light do you have for him) and a good basking temp on his basking spot, 102=105F is best for his age.

I have a PowerSun 100W for the UVB and heat with a rock that gets pretty close to it. And also have a Reptisun 10.0 T8 lighting a little bit of the basking area, but also lights the rest of his tank up.

His temps are up to 112 at the highest point on the rock, but he is only up that high right after a bath.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask, it's important they have a good set up for optimum growth. Good luck!

Ohh I will ask for sure! :)

If there's

Thanks so much for your help!

Here are the labels of the powders I put in. The Dragon Dust is for dusting Veggies and the other is for live foods.

This is the dragon dust:
20130201_071730_zpsc6d7a532.jpg

This is the other.
20130201_071704_zpse0d3b32d.jpg

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Don't feed him mealworms at all, there is a risk of impaction. You may try westcoastroaches.com for mediums. They normally have pretty decent prices.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I figured it would be bad to feed him mealies.. :(

Actually just placed an order for 1000 from Kimberly(I want to say that was who is was)

And I should be getting them mid next week... only thing is... what can I do till then? Just feed more of the smalls to him?

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, just feed him the smalls, you will just have to feed him more of them. He will probably eat at least 60 a day if not more. Feed him greens everyday too, and feeders twice a day.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I just wanted to see the front labels, not the ingredients. So can you post the front of them so I can see what they are? Thanks.

I'm glad your little guy likes dubia, they're so good for him! Glad you found someone to get from. In the For Sale section check out Twobeardieguy's thread, here's the link, he sells dubia, too and so far none have ever died in transit. He sells starter colonies, too.
[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=182501 f=2 ]
I buy the chow once a year for supers and roaches. Crickets like it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom