another dead beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schatzi

My son, TJ, received a baby bearded dragon from his grandpa for his 10th birthday. I fell so head over heels in love with "Spyro" (my son's dragon) :love5: that I "took over" him which was very unappreciated by my son :angry5: ....so I went and got my own to shower with love and attention and named him "Gollum" (after my favorite JRR Tolkien book character). Although I had spent a little over a month learning about bearded dragons, choosing a hatchling and how to care for them, :book: I foolishly chose the smallest baby at the pet store laying on the very bottom of a 4 beardie pileup. I scooped him up, purchased all the necessities and put him inside the front pocket of my T-shirt for the drive home. He was as tiny as my pinky finger! :shock:
That was almost 7 years ago. Since then Gollum has never been as healthy or alive as Spyro, and I have often caught myself looking hard into his tank to see if his sides were moving or some other sign that he is still alive. :oops: I have rearranged his husbandry about a million times to be sure he was safe, warm, adequately hydrated and well fed. However, nothing I have ever done has really changed his behavior... :dontknow: and so I just conceded to accept that this was what he would be like. I know it’s terrible, but we often joke about Gollum being on death’s door for most - if not all of his life. :?

Very recently, (June 29, 2013) my son lost his beloved Spyro to what we can only guess must have been a firefly or something similar that flew into his terrarium because he was happy and healthy only hours before he was discovered.

I still can't believe how attached I have become to our little reptilian family members and I don't think I will be getting another one....it just hurts too damn much. :cry:

Gollum however is still alive :dontknow: yet over the past week, he has been acting even more lethargic than usual (if that is even possible) and now one of his eyes stays closed all the time. He doesn't eat and won’t even go after any of the super-worms I put into his bowl. :silent: He seems to be sleeping constantly, his legs shake beneath him with every little step, and pretty much drags himself around, ( he doesn’t even pick up his head ) whenever he does move....which is very, very little. :( I have given him emergency “paste” and some beardie vitamin drops. (both of which are forced upon him :whip: as I am afraid he is WAY too thin and if I don’t make him nourish his skinny little body he will definitely starve himself to death)
Are we going to be finding another dead beardie soon?
Could he be suffering from whatever killed Spyro?
Could it just be old age? How would I be able to tell?

:dontknow: I am at a loss on what else to do at this point and as much as it pains me to say....Gollum truly is on death's door this time and I could lose him any day now. :cry:

:help: :help: Any helpful information will be much appreciated and any advice - gladly applied. :help: :help:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Based on what you described, it sounds like Gollum is definitely having some troubles.

What does his daily diet look like?
And how often is he having bowel movements?
What substrate is he housed on?

The closing of one eye is curious, what is your lighting setup like? Specifically, brand of uvb bulb, type of uvb bulb, and what you use for a heat bulb.
Do you know what the temperatures are in your tank?

What was in this emergency paste you gave him? Did you have to forcefeed him or did he eat it willingly? Lastly, how long has he not been eating? Just a day or two?

-Brandon

spongemom_sweatpants

Hatchling Member
Thanks for answering so quickly! For some reason I have 2 accounts on this website - one is Spongemom_Sweatpants and the other is "Schatzi"....but both are me. I would love to combine the two but I have not been able to find anything on how to link them together. :dontknow:
anyway, to answer your questions -

claudiusx":34rt26mn said:
What does his daily diet look like?

I feed him Flukers Buffet Blend - Adult Bearded Dragon Food - I keep his bowl full of this
mealworms, superworms, mustard greens, and kale 2 - 3x daily (when he is eating) and I give him strawberries (with the greens) and bananas for treats a couple of times a week

And how often is he having bowel movements?
once a week - sometimes even less

What substrate is he housed on?
Zoo Med Eco Reptile Terrarium Carpet

The closing of one eye is curious, what is your lighting setup like? Specifically, brand of uvb bulb, type of uvb bulb, and what you use for a heat bulb.
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent for his "sunlight"
ZOO MED™ POWERSUN™ UV Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Terrarium Lamp
and an Exo Terra® Halogen Basking Spot Bulb for heat

Do you know what the temperatures are in your tank?
even though I have 3 lights going....his tank stays at a little below 80*f
I posted some pics on facebook of Gollum and his tank today
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3246490536924.1073741826.1706730666&type=1&l=43517191f5

What was in this emergency paste you gave him? Did you have to forcefeed him or did he eat it willingly?
its called "repta-aid critical care emergency formula" the link below is a picture of it
http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures/repta-aid-critical-care-formula-amp-reg.jpg
I also gave him some Flukers Liquid Vitamin drops today
I had to forcefeed both to him :whip:

Lastly, how long has he not been eating? Just a day or two?
about a week I guess

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kelly...I'm sorry to see your poor fella looking so bone weary. :( I'm sure Brandon will offer up some good advice, but I think Gollum looks dehydrated for one. A good 10 minute lukewarm bath should help, every other day but stay right with him to support him. You might dribble a bit of water over his snout to see if he'll drink some, too. As for his eyes, it would be good to turn off the compact. It is way too strong, and may be burning his eyes. Just use the Powersun MVB. As for his temps., they could be off quite a bit and it might be too warm. Many people like to use a temp. gun to get an accurate reading. I'd also suggest extra water in the syringe when you give him the critical care, it will really help to hydrate him. I hope he shows some improvement !

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with everything AHBD suggested, especially the turning off the coil bulb and the baths.

First thoughts were he also had a slight impaction, which is a possibility. It would help explain why he isn't as eager to eat as he should be. If nothings coming out, there is no room for anything to come in.

The bathing should help with that.
What also will help is making sure that your temperatures are correct. If the temperatures aren't correct, proper digestion cannot occur. You really should invest in a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe end. Those dial thermometers can be off by as much as 40 degrees. So it is paramount that you get an accurate means to measure temperatures as soon as possible.

A trick I used with Naughtica when the time came for her to need force feeding and CC was mixing some squash babyfood in with the dose of CC. It makes a bit more of a meal out of the CC, and should help it taste better. After a day or two of it, Naughtica became quite fond of the taste, and would eagerly eat her "soup". The baby food should also help pass along anything in the system to get Gollum regular again.

I am iffy about the Liquid vitamins, especially being fed alongside the CC, which is already very high in vitamins and minerals. I would use it sparingly if at all.
I am eager and hoping he will poo for you soon. Poo can tell us a lot about what is going on in your dragon, as strange as it sounds.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get the thermometer soon, and make any adjustments to your temperature if need be.
Keep us updated.

-Brandon

BeardedDragonCo

Hatchling Member
Sorry to be nosey, but I had a look at his pics and think he has a chance if you can get him hydrated. Don't worry about food, he's a reptile and doesn't need lots of calories to sustain life, but he does need lots of fluids. If he's dehydrated, the protein will just be harder on his internal organs. Get some electrolytes like pedialyte or generic powder, make some up adding double the water recommended for a human. Soak him several times a day in it and get a syringe or dropper and very carefully force him to drink as much as he can every hour. It may take you a day or two to get him hydrated, so just be patient and diligent. Once he is hydrated you can make up small amounts of the repti-boost very watered down at first, then gradually decreasing the water as he gets better. Other than that, my top recommendation would be liquid calcium with serrapeptase supplemented along with b-complex to get him back on track. His tank looks very small for the amount of lights and he doesn't have a place to cool down, this has to be changed to keep him from constantly being overheated and dehydrated. He may have some organ damage from this, but can live a good life with a few minor adjustments and TLC. Let me know if you need anything to help with his recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom