Animal Plastics Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbluex

Juvie Member
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone here has ever used the animal plastics enclosures, and if so how is it working out for you?
http://www.animalplastics.com/
I'm going to be buying one for my Uro, which is designed for uromastyx and bearded dragons, and if it works out I figure I'll buy 2 more for my beardies since the price is only a little more than what it would cost to build one. So, anybody use these??

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
I don't have one but I bought a cage from http://www.showcasecages.com/ that I love. Tang has the 5 X 2 X 2 sandstone one which is a little pricey but I'm glad I got it. They have smaller ones that will do just fine for cheaper prices. Sometimes they have ones that are discounted because they have cosmetic flaws.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
xbluex":2fc18 said:
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone here has ever used the animal plastics enclosures, and if so how is it working out for you?
http://www.animalplastics.com/
I'm going to be buying one for my Uro, which is designed for uromastyx and bearded dragons, and if it works out I figure I'll buy 2 more for my beardies since the price is only a little more than what it would cost to build one. So, anybody use these??

Would you be worried about fumes from the plastic ? espesially with the high heat for your Uro. Not trying to start anything, but in another thred you said melimine has toxic fumes, have you checked the plastic. I know that when heated (not sure how hot), plastic melts and is very toxic. I looked into plastic & that was my concern

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
LQDragons":70b07 said:
Would you be worried about fumes from the plastic ? espesially with the high heat for your Uro. Not trying to start anything, but in another thred you said melimine has toxic fumes, have you checked the plastic. I know that when heated (not sure how hot), plastic melts and is very toxic. I looked into plastic & that was my concern
I have one of the showcase cages and it's made of High-Density Polyethylene Plastic and it doesnt give off any fumes. The lights sit on or above smooth, rust-proof aluminum mesh so the plastic doesnt get hot. Not sure about the animal plastics cages though.

xbluex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Would you be worried about fumes from the plastic ? espesially with the high heat for your Uro.

Yes I am worried about that, I am still researching this product which is part of the reason why I started this thread. The plastic used to make vision cages doesn't put off any fumes, and I believe the AP cages are the same type of plastic. Don't hold me on that though, I'm still waiting for a response from the owners or rep.s at animal plastics. I'm told by others that have used these cages that they retain the heat very well, but do not heat up, if that makes sense. They don't start to melt under the high temps that uros need (so I'm told) But after I buy one I do plan on testing this out in various ways before putting any animal in it.

xbluex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I really do like those cages too elisabaker, that are almost just like the vision cages too. The only reason I'm thinking of the AP ones is because they are easier to stack and a little cheaper. Plus I like that they come in black, because alot of my furniture is black so it will match in my house a little better.

sithcdw

it depends on the type of plastic
polypropylene has a melting point of about 160 degrees celsius (320 degrees fahrenheit)

Polyethylene has a melting point of 120 degrees celsuis to 130 degrees celsius (250 to 256 degrees fahrenheit)

but do note that this is the MELTING point, before the compound transitions to a liquid state the plastic will get soft and eventually "hard, gel-like" before this happens and may exempt fumes

when heating the enclosure use heat lamps (not a UTH or heat rock). a UTH or heat rock concentrates heat in one spot rather than raising the ambient air temperature, and besides heat rocks should never be used anyways for the safety of your animal

but these are extremely high temperatures and if they ever get this high you will probably notice your animal dead before there is any immediate threat to you, you shouldnt have any problems (as longs as lamps are used)

however you should monitor the enclosure constantly, if there are any fumes i recommend using a glass or wooden enclosure

xbluex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sithcdw - Thank you so much for posting that info. It's all very comforting to know. I'm pretty sure that there won't be any problem. The hottest spot in the enclosure will be no higher than 130-135. The ambient air temps are going to be around 100. But even with the basking spot of 130, there will be at least 3 inches between that spot and the bottom of the cage. It will be about 2 inches of sand, then the basking rocks so I really doubt that there will be any problems with it melting or getting so hot that the plastic will release fumes.
Once I get the enclosure I do plan on monitering it before I put my girl in there. I will set it up with nothing inside exept the lights and let it run for at least a week, that way I will be able to see the effect of the lights directly on the plastic to see if there would be any obviously problems with fumes. Then I'll run it for another week with the sand and everything else inside to see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom