Amputation or Euthanization? FOOT EMERGENCY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Did the vet clean up the injuries any from the photos? It looks like there is a fair bit of dead tissue and maybe even dirt on them. As they look it doesn't seem like they are clean healthy wounds.....

What substrate are you using, by the way?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the wounds don't look real clean to me either. The vet doesn't want to amputate any of it that is infected or he wants to wait & see what it will do?
How is she doing? I hope you are getting her to eat, but definitely do several feedings per day for her right now to gain some weight.

Tracie

Marlowandharley

Hello,
Poor sweet, mistakes happen. My baby beardie had his tail bitten badly by the other one, and I had to amputate myself, however I think the best case for yours would be to keep it clean and bandaged to stop any infection spreading.
Timodine is what vets use, and anything sterile for bandaging.
Dragons can heal so long as the wound is kept clean. If you can't get a vet to amputate timodine and bandages are the next best thing xx

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd do everything I can make her life comfortable and pain free from here on no what the ultimate outcome is.

No particulate beddings , just tiles (no glue no grout), no climbing, butadiene baths to help keep the wounds clean, antibiotics as prescribed, anti-inflamatories if prescribed, manuka honey on the infected areas and sterile dressings.
Plenty of high quality insect protein (the kind that is easy for her to catch and wont bite back - ie silkworms if you can get them).

It will likely take several months and several visits to the vet and a few surgeries to clean up the stumps perhaps but she's definitely worth giving her a chance.

I'm sure if her injuries heal up and she doesn't develop a systemic infection of some kind, she can lead a long and happy (even if disabled) life that's very rich ,even without rear feet.

This is an unfortunate result of co-habitation. She's obviously been dominated by the other dragon and subsequently is under a lot is stress.
If she was mine, I'd be making her own seperate enclosure with ideal temps, lots of good quality food and supplements, new UV bulbs and places to hide. Make sure she can't see the other dragon in case of stress and give her a fighting chance. Dragons can live without feet and tails but she'll definitely be a "special needs" case so lots of TLC, but she deserves it. Feed her up, love her up and see how she goes with regular input from your vet.

Good luck.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how she is doing. I hope that she will improve & have a good quality of life with your help.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
The biggest problem I see with trying to keep the dragon alive is that the wounds won't heal quick. The dragon will suffer from pain the entire time and will be permenantly disabled.
Only you can decide if its crule or not, but I know what I would do.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Gormagon":2ouj65q5 said:
JessPets":2ouj65q5 said:
Hello, what did you end up doing?
I have been wondering this myself! Kinda weird to come on here and post this thread and vanish....wow!

I've been looking for updates here myself. If the OP vanished I wonder if things didn't go well :/

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Zombiepanda":2v2pg24j said:
Gormagon":2v2pg24j said:
JessPets":2v2pg24j said:
Hello, what did you end up doing?
I have been wondering this myself! Kinda weird to come on here and post this thread and vanish....wow!

I've been looking for updates here myself. If the OP vanished I wonder if things didn't go well :/
If they did go bad, I hope she learned something from it.... This was avoidable, she just had to watch for the signs, they were screaming at her!!!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
No matter how it turned out it was bad. Dead or disabled..not good choices to pick from. Mistakes happen, but this one shouldn't have. A tiny bit of research would have prevented it from happening.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Rankins":1fqrobi4 said:
No matter how it turned out it was bad. Dead or disabled..not good choices to pick from. Mistakes happen, but this one shouldn't have. A tiny bit of research would have prevented it from happening.
I couldn't agree more, this should have never happened.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
It irks me that at this day and age when people walk around face first in their phones, that some people can't seem to take a few moments to do a google search. But more so that this poor dragon got sooooooo bad off before the poster realized something was wrong. I know this is going to come off as rude and I don't mean it to, but we may never know because the poster may be too ashamed to update... I know I would have been too ashamed...

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Zombiepanda":1nontbog said:
It irks me that at this day and age when people walk around face first in their phones, that some people can't seem to take a few moments to do a google search. But more so that this poor dragon got sooooooo bad off before the poster realized something was wrong. I know this is going to come off as rude and I don't mean it to, but we may never know because the poster may be too ashamed to update... I know I would have been too ashamed...

I hope that isn't the case, I really hope the OP comes back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom