amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
hi i feed my 6 month beardie veggies every day,about 8 crickets and i just started him on meal worms.he is kinda skinny. how many worms should i give him a day??how many worms come in the can sized containers???

ps. i do use vitamin dust
pss. how many peoples beardies like mealworms better then wax worms??

TY :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
At six months old he still needs to be eating quite a bit of protein. He should be eating at least 50 crickets a day plus veggies. Meal worms are also not a good choice for beardies. I would suggest silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms, etc. Less risk of impaction. I would feed him as many feeders as he will eat in a 10 minute period 2x's per day. That will help him gain some weight. When he gets to 16" in length, you can start on superworms. They are cheap, and beardies seem to love them!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I'll back that up. I've got a 6 month old who is gaining 25 to 40 grams per week who is over 16 inches long and up to a total weight of 250 grams. His salad in the morning is usually collard greens & butternut squash that is piled up on a 4" plate and when I get home from work he eats around 30 to 50 crickets and roaches. He is so huggable now!

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok i dont wanta feed mws any more.he didn't poop since his first mw(at least we know of) so i gave him a bath to see if he would poop.he did,(good ole baths) it had a couple of mw shells in it. so ill find a better worm thats avalible around here, if not he'll go with out or i could order some. my mom says to slowly feed him the rest so they don't go to waste, 1 every couple of days.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Do you have a picture of him or can you weigh him? How long is he? How much salad is he eating and do you know what kind of vegetables?

If he is 6 months, he should be pretty big and able to eat a few meal worms at a time, just not too many. Like a salad topper for him. J

ust tell your mom he needs more crickets too so he grows good. And make sure you're giving him good greens like collards or mustard greens. No lettuce.

Do you have a good UV light for him? Sorry if Im being nosy. :p

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i need to measure him soon he should about 15 inches.we give him plenty of veggies.lately ive been hearin not to feed lettuce. ime confused with that though.....i do give him other stuff too like broccoli green beans peas.ive tried other stuff but he was picky with it.hes gettin his first nail trim soon, i short should i cut cause they hurt!!! TY :mrgreen:

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Link for foods- http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html Very helpful site, color coded by how often you can/should feed certain foods.

You need to be careful about trimming nails, like dogs and cats they have veins in their nails that you don't want to cut. There are pictures illustrating how much is safe to cut on this page: http://www.beardiedragon.com/pages/Care/BD/General/BD_Care_health.html

I don't think roaches have tough shells, or they wouldn't be recommended nearly as much as they are. I haven't started using them yet myself though, so I can't help too much.

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thanks for the sites!!! i trimmed his nails maybe like 2 weeks back or something. One was cut too short and bled a little, but the rest went good :mrgreen:

scottmunro

We are new to the beardies. We have one that is 3 months old that we bought 3 days ago. She is orange and looks healthy. My question is how many crickets should I feed her a day. My little girl listened to some store keeper who told her that you should only feed her 2 crickets every 2 days and vegies the rest of the time and one day a week no food at all. And worms are only goodies. Can someone give me a hand here. I have read otherwise all over in the internet.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Hi scottmunro,
Your new baby sounds beautiful, we would love to see a picture! I can't believe the pet store told your daughter that, poor baby would starve to death. Your dragon should be eating crickets no bigger than the space between her eyes and she should be able to eat as many as she wants in 15 minutes. This could be anywhere from 20 to 50 crickets per feeding every day. They should be dusted 5 days a week with calcium supplement and 2 days per week with a vitamin supplement such as Herptivite, one feeding per day. You should give her a bowl of greens such as collard, mustard, turnip greens or squash such as butternut or acorn also every day. She may not eat the veggies as much now but she will eat more as she gets older. Babies need a lot of protien to grow so lots of crickets, phoenix worms, silkworms, hornworms, and/or roaches are good staple feeders. No mealworms as their shell causes impaction but butter or wax worms are good for treats. Did you get her a good UV light? Do you have a probe type thermometer to check her basking temps? She needs to bask at 100 to 110 degrees in order to have proper digestion and she needs a good UV bulb to metabolize calcium. The best UV bulbs are the Repti-Sun 10 tube, PowerSun mercury vapor, T Rex Active UV mercury vapor, or Mega Ray mercury vapor. Let us know so we can get you off on the right foot, talk to you soon, Cheryl

how come my beardie only has 10 crix a day he is 5 months old and has medium crix, hes a big fat beardie and theres people going on about feeding 50 a day ?? i dont get it

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
What kind of UV lighting (brand & wattage) do you use and how hot are his basking temps? A lot of it has to do with how much/long your beardie basks and how hot it is. Ten isn't very many at all really. Different beardies will eat different amounts too but that doesn't seem like enough.

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
uvb is zilla i think.basking is 70-80 on uv,90-110 on other. sorry to say but hes still in a 20gal. he grew so fast( 8 or 9 months(needa do the math) , and we don't have that much money. were looking at a 72 aquarium, if we can get an appropriate lid. maybe some peeps mis understood, i offer him 10 at a time.we get 2 or 3 dozen at a time,we dont have space or money for any more.were spending about 4-8 bucks on crx each week.
ty a bunch!!! :mrgreen:

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Crickets really don't take up that much room.. I have 1500 in a 15 gal tank and could probably go up to 2000 easily. I spend minimum $20 on crickets every week and only have one dragon that eats them. Dragons are expensive, espesially as babies and juvies, and budgeting for your pet should have been a concern before you ever brought him home.

I really cannot stress hard enough how bad the zilla bulbs are. When I put one on my oldest boy, he stopped eating, moving, and opening his eyes within 3 days, and it took weeks to get him back to his lovely happy self after I took it off. I was convinced I'd killed him. Changing this bulb to a good one (ReptiSun 10.0 tube) is pretty much guarenteed to give you a dragon you never even knew you had.

As for your dead cricket fear... you'll either have to get used to it or find another feeder, but nothing's going to be as cheap and good for him as crickets right now. You could start your own dubia colony, but they take a while to establish and would take up far more room than the crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom