Amelia :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellee

Hi everyone! I am new here and so is Amelia, our beardie. My boyfriend and I are first time beardie owners, but we did a ton of research and he has owned reptiles before. I am a more fuzzy wuzzy lover, and have been an advocate of Hamsters, Gerbils, and other small rodents for the past 10+ years. Oh, and of course Fish :) I will be loud about proper fish care haha.

After discovering how horrible pet stores are when I was 15 and got my first Hamster, I have made it a point to make sure to research a new pet before getting one. We did a lot of looking around over the past week, bought all of our supplies (BOY Beardies are expensive!) and decided where to get our little Amelia. She was quite the personality, following my boyfriends sunglasses around, jumping into our hands for a neck rub, and happily taking hand feeding. Of course, she hasn't acted that way since getting home. We're sure it's just from the stress, but I am a worry wart so I joined the site to ask if her black bearding was normal (it is, phew).

Oh! I suppose I should post some pictures of Amelia, huh :)

W7UgEah.jpg

ra1QQko.jpg

LTh6yy6.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Welcome to the wonderful world of beardie ownership ! Amelia looks like a sweetie pie and very chill there on her basking log. I hope she becomes a happy member of your family. :)

dezismom

Juvie Member
Well, hello, Amelia! What a sweetie pie you are! She will be more friendly, as she gets over the move; Beardies hate change! In a week or so, her personality will start to shine. Meanwhile, do not try to force intimacy; just hand feed her and keep things clean...when she associates you with food, she will LOVE you! ??

Also, they are all a bit skittish, as babies. My boy did not like being held, so I let him walk about on the counter, exploring, (with my constant attention to prevent falls!) and eventually, he would stay a while on my hand. As he matured, he became a big old snuggle bug...he literally demands at least three hours of snuggles every evening before bed time.

Yes, they are expensive to set up properly and maintain; sounds like you are doing it right, ha, ha!

Kellee

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes! Here are more pictures of Amelia today! Her appetite is great but she is still quite skittish so we are giving her time :) I also just got an older Beardie, Odin. I guess it's true, once you get on you can't stop! I'll make another thread for Odin :)

s4SbPfE.jpg

bgi3gBg.jpg

usgw74c.jpg

HsMeerS.jpg

L7hX1jI.jpg

Also, does anyone know what color she is and what she will look like grown up?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a normal/standard phase dragon, will probably look similar as an adult but could turn a different color...no way to know unless you saw the parents , if they were higher color with any reds/yellows you might expect some changes as she grows.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Amelia looks much happier, this morning! Her eyes are less "squinty" and her face looks more relaxed...she has decided she will not be eaten any time soon! I suspect that as her trust in you grows, she will become a very affectionate girl. Would love to see Odin as well. Be careful to keep those two separate. I would not even let them have visual contact as it would increase stress, especially for little Amelia--let them get completely relaxed in their new surroundings, before introductions are made. (a few weeks) Then, if you do want to introduce them, do so only under very close supervision. Beardies are not fond of other Beardies, in general, and a larger one can do awful damage to a smaller one at lightening speed...of course, there are exceptions, and some members have multiple Beardies who do get along okay (but not safe to be housed together) so only time will tell.

For now, concentrate on reducing their stress by keeping them in a quiet, warm, gentle environment. Establish a routine, so they will be able to predict their day...Beardies love routine and hate change!

As to color, it is so difficult to tell at this age...I was completely surprised by Dezi, who looked very ordinary when we got him, but became brighter orange with every shed. I was also surprised that he grew so big, so fast, but I should not have been. We got him because the store clerk said no one wanted him because he was twice as big as his cage mates that he came in with, and people wanted the smaller, more "cute" ones. That should have been a "big" clue!! ;)

They are addictive, aren't they? I cannot imagine my life without my dear boy!

This is Dezi as a baby, and now (18 months old) ...More of him to love! yay!????❤️
82765-4864947875.jpg

82765-779776052.jpg

Redleg

Amelia is a GREAT looking Beardie. When they are that age they tend to be a bit skittish and what they really want is to eat a lot of protein so that they can realize their full growth potential. Once she gets some size you will see that she mellows out and enjoys your handling and attention.

Amelia looks terrific. Since you say she is eating well, you are off to a great start on your Bearded Dragon adventure.

Kellee

Original Poster
Odin is yellow so that's why I was wondering what Amelia might look like :) She has orange around her belly spikes :D I made a thread for Odin here in the Introductions forum!

Odin is being kept in our bedroom and Amelia is in the living room, so they won't see much of each other if they even see each other at all ^^ Odin will get to play in my office which we don't have to go through the living area for so we are being very watchful to keep them separate.

We are supposed to be getting the Phoenix worms in today! And I told my boyfriend we can start keeping Roaches because they're meant to be less stinky than crickets... but eugh. They gross me out so much :(

Redleg

I know what you mean about roaches ("Dubias") but actually you will find that they are cleaner, hardier, and easier to deal with in every way than crickets. They do not stink like crickets and they are better for your beardies than crickets.

Kellee

Original Poster
So our local pet store actually sells Roaches for super cheap ($14 for 200 medium!!) and we got our Phoenix Worms in today, so we have some awesome grub ready for the Beardies!

Amelia shed her skin today :) She looks so adorable with the shed half on, half off haha. We also gave her her first bath, and she HATED it :( I'm hoping it helps her shed. She also was really enjoying cuddles after her bath, and didn't black beard at all, so I'm hoping she's warming up to us.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Sounds like Amelia will have plentiful to feast on! You go, Amelia! Good to hear she is already starting to enjoy handling. Dez could not have cared less at that age. Just give him the grub! Now he demands snuggle time. If it is not forthcoming at the expected times, he pouts, droops, and does the whole drama queen thing, until it happens!

Dezi hates baths, too. I thought he might get used to them, but nope. So we reached a compromise: I stopped bathing him, and he stopped hating it! ? He does soak a little in his water dish, especially when shedding, and he enjoys a very fine misting (just a little) during sheds. He rarely "needs" a bath, since I keep his environment spotless, so he does not look or smell like poo.

I noticed some orangy color in Amelia...it will be interesting to see how she turns out! I was completely surprised by Dezi turning out so orange...He seemed fairly plain and ordinary as a hatchling...but he did have an overall orange like "glow" about him.

82765-2416643892.jpg
"I hate baths, but will soak in my little water dish, if it is my own idea."

Kellee

Original Poster
Amelia's water dish is around that size compared to her body, hehe :) We don't keep it too full though since I wouldn't want her to fall in on accident.

And yes right near her little spikes on her sides she has orange stripes and a bit on her face, plus a bit of orange on her legs.

dezismom

Juvie Member
OMG! That cracked me up! Looks like a shipwreck survivor!! With the double sexy leg goin' on!! priceless! And wow, what a looooong tail!

Redleg

It cracks me up how these Beardies totally veg out with their arms and legs flung in all directions. Ragnar does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom