Amazed at the difference in behavior after changing light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuckerDad

OK I got Puff a month ago as a present for my twin boys. He is full grown almost 3 years old.
he was not super active and his appetite wasn't bad but not great either. I bought a new hood and a 36" reptisun10.0 bulb last week. He is definitely a lot more active and his appetite is unbelievable. I was surprised though that the bulb is not brighter than it is (not that it is a problem). I am a believer now. He also seems to be seeing better, I hand feed him Supers and he wouldn't acknowledge that i was even holding anything sometimes. Now you can tell he is looking at it when I hold something out there. I will have to say though the Reptisun hood is kind of a piece of crap. The light cuts out when you open the screen top of my setup.I have to tap it to make it come on. Any one have suggestions for a better brand hood? I might return this one.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great news. :mrgreen:

You can just get any normal fluorescent fixture at any home improvement store. Just make sure its a T8 and obviously that it's the appropriate length for your bulb.

-Brandon

wmwelch

There might not be a problem with the hood. I had a similar issue with one of my hoods where the light would come on in the morning, but would periodically go off like when opening the doors of my beardie's enclosure, but come back on if I adjusted the bulb slightly. I did a little research and found that the bulb has to basically lock into the right position in order to stay on, so it is possible that the bulb is just a little out of place and not locked in correctly. I just kept playing around with it until I got it into the right position, and I have had no further issues with it.

Wendy

disturb3d0n3

Juvie Member
I bought a pretty nice hood at Petsmart only to realize it had a plastic cover over the light so I had to rip that off so that I wasn't blocking the UVB from my baby. Be sure to pay attention to that when purchasing a new hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom