Am I feeding my beardie right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had my beardie for a little over a month now, and I'm starting to worry that he's getting fat. When I first got him, he ate about 35 crickets a day, and a few bites of salad. I also fed him a few mealworms here and there. But recently he's been eating close to 50 crickets a day, and he's looking a little fat. I've started to try and give him a set amount of crickets a day. Usually 15 in the morning, 10 in the afternoon, and 10 in the evening. He seems kind of upset when I put the crickets away though. And he also ate all of his salad today, which he rarely does. So is he not eating enough now? I just don't want him to get overweight.

dawnflower

Original Poster
He isn't a hatchling. He was already a few months old when I got him. I don't know for sure how old he is, but he's about 8 inches right now I think? Anyway, here are a couple pictures. He just seems to have a bit of a pot belly, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not
20160719_114403_by_sodapoq-daapt16.jpg

20160719_114412_by_sodapoq-daapszd.jpg

20160719_114419_by_sodapoq-daapswz.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's only a couple few months old based on the photo. He still has a lot of growing to do so I'd continue offering him as many bugs as he wants a couple of times per day. He will slow down as he reaches about 12 months old but for now he looks healthy and will need lots of protein to continue growing =)

dawnflower

Original Poster
Okay, I was just a little concerned because he suddenly started eating so much more than usual. But I guess he's just a growing boy! Thanks for letting me know!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They grow in spurts like we do so you'll see his appetite come and go. That's pretty normal and I suggest just keeping up with it and let him (mostly) dictate what he needs.

dawnflower

Original Poster
Alright, I'll be sure to do that! I did feed him as many crickets as he could eat earlier today and he seemed a lot happier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom