Almost a year old now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Hi all! Slick will be a year old next month. Just wanted to check in to make sure he's still on track. He's a big boy. About 22" long now.(he was 4" when we got him). Unsure of his weight. He has transitioned a lot these past months. He used to eat 700 crickets a week when he was around 5-6 months. Now, he doesn't like them at all. He eats about 5-7 super worms a day. I used to feed him 5 in the morning and 5 in the evening. But, he doesn't really eat them in the evening anymore. So I stopped that feeding. He does enjoy his greens. Mostly mustard and turnip. He doesn't care much for other veggies. He will eat fruit on occasion, but only if I hand feed him and tell him what a good lizard he is. (I think he's spoiled). He poops about once a week. I usually just give fresh greens in the morning. He doesn't eat them all. He prefers to scatter some of them throughout his tank. Should I be feeding him fresh greens in the evening as well? Or should I nix the evening feeding all together? I can't tell if he eats any at that time. What do you guys normally do? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Everything sounds healthy for the most part. Once a week poops sounds a little light. I'd keep check on his weight to make sure it's steady or increasing. I'd keep up the veggies. Make a nice salad for him every day and put that in the tank. Change it up as much as possible getting ideas from the beautifuldragons nutrition guide. One feeding of protein/bugs a day should be fine, just give him as much as he wants over 10 minutes or so. Keep dusting the bugs. If he stops wanting bugs, try putting a light dusting on the salad and see if he'll take it that way.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Rin likes to eat spaghetti squash, carrots, and butternut squash cut very small and thin, and put into his salads. He will pick through the types he wants for the day, but enjoys all of them. You might want to try some of that in his salad.
Also, not only baths make him poop more often, but when I put him outside and sit with him on a chair for about 10 minutes (assuming it is warm here in CA), and then let him sit alone on the lawn while I sit in the chair, in the shade. He almost always poops when he ends up on the lawn or a slate rock on the lawn. You might want to try getting him some time outside in the sunshine if it gets warm enough where you are. That seems to regulate Rin's poop schedule better.

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I do throw in all kinds of veggies from time to time. I've recently stopped, he just doesn't eat them. He was on a butternut squash kick for awhile. But now he will only eat the leafy greens. I've tried green beans, green peppers, different kinds of squash, ect. But no... We can't go outside yet. Still too chilly here in Indiana. And he won't poop in his cage anyway. Only when he's out either in the tub or interestingly in my sons room. ( I tell my son his room scares the poo outta him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom