All dubia owners please respond :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

prowler996

Juvie Member
Just took these pics the other day...

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

Have them in my roach family album collection.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
awesome! cool pic :)

i have to say, this thread is probably the most informative dubia thread on here

Triage

Hatchling Member
Man, those pictures of the Dubia laying babes is awesome. I can't believe you caught that live. Excellent. I just ordered my starters from Ian last night, so I hope to have some pics of my colony posted pretty soon. (BTW, the guy is awesome to deal with and answered all my questions. He even tried to steer me away from buying too many, but I bought them anyway, as I ALWAYS goes overboard in everything I do)

I've read through this entire thread and am not quite sure if I understand this or not. Is it ok to use a red (night) heat light hanging above the cutout on the lid or should I use my ceramic heating element bulb that gives NO light? I am going to put an older heating pad (one without the 2 hour cutoff) on the bottom, but I will have these bad boys in my garage. Its heated, but it IS a garage and it goes down to about 65 in there at night. I'll have a thermometer and hydrometer (I think that's what gauges the humidity) in there, but if I cant get enough heat from the pad and the heater on the side, would either of the bulbs work or should I stay away from the red.

I have a shelf that I was keeping my crickets and mealworm colony on and I just put a ceramic heater in there facing the front of the shelf last week. The next morning, I had like 5 mealworm nymphs in my colony. My first. Since then, my daughters and I check every night and find more. (my youngest find it cool, my 12 years says "Guuuhhhhross".) I cant wait to put one of these fellas on her desk. LOL

Triage aka Chris

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Triage":2a15f said:
Man, those pictures of the Dubia laying babes is awesome.

They are not dubia, dubia females do not have wings like that. They look like a lobster roach but I havent dealt with them in years so I am not sure on that.

Triage

Hatchling Member
Hah. My first thought was "that looks like a male though"...but since I have never actually held one in my hand yet (soon)....I just figured I didn't know any better. ;-) Thanks for clearing it up though.

Triage

Hatchling Member
Awesome shots Brandy. (my other hobby is photography). This for sure clears it up for me. Hope to have my photos up this weekend. I have never been more excited to see a roach in my life. I cant wait till mine get here!!! :D

chrisallen

Hatchling Member
Good info here. I really like learning about these guys. My setup is getting better, and they are reproducing more, but still not where I want it yet......but getting there.

Triage

Hatchling Member
My Dubia have arrived safely and are nestled in their new condo. Here are few photos for your viewing pleasure. I have to commend Ian on such an AWESOME packing job. Those little guys were snug as a bug (pardon the pun) in the shipping containers.

So my setup is this: 20 gallon tote, Egg crates, bowl of chow, bowl of water crystals (in gel form of course). Have a CHE on the top and a heating pad on the bottom, on med.

I saw a Tarantula guy once with a video of Dubia. He hot glued screen around his bowls for the babies to climb to the food. It seems to work, I guess..but I am thinking of going with smaller dishes. I also bought an Oregon Scientific "Weather Station" with a wireless remote sensor (you can see that Velcro'd to the inside of the box.) Unfortunately, the fine print inside the box says if I want to measure humidity on the remote sensor, I need a different sensor and of course the store I bought it from does not sell the sensors. So, I'll be searching the web. I will say I like the device and it's pretty accurate with temp so far, which is currently 92.1(F) AND you can program up to three sensors to scroll through. So I'll buy two more sensors, but two in Buddy's house and one in with the Dubia. Then I can see the temps at all times from my desk. ;-) Pure awesomeness.

As for Buddy/Betty, he/she LOVES the Dubia. I sat one in front of him last night and he gobbled it up and for the first time ever, I saw him turn in circles looking for more. After about 2 or 3, I was able to get him to eat directly from the tongs I was using to put them in his viv. I have only had him for about 3 weeks. (If I believe the pet shop, that makes him/her about 11 weeks.) So after after day one, I have to say these are a miracle feeder.

Took a few shots for your viewing pleasure.

My setup
I tripped when I snapped this shot. Didn't see it was so blurry until I got back upstairs, but you can basically see what's going on.

15138_1225543689395_1553108509_30588689_3536773_n.jpg

Inside
15138_1225543769397_1553108509_30588690_2125123_n.jpg

15138_1225543929401_1553108509_30588693_2300501_n.jpg

Female

15138_1225543969402_1553108509_30588694_8214545_n.jpg

Male

15138_1225544009403_1553108509_30588695_7259199_n.jpg

A full Buddy/Betty

15138_1225544049404_1553108509_30588696_2248511_n.jpg

Thanks for taking a look,
Triage

kalipbean

Hatchling Member
So we have dubia roach sex, dubia roach egg sack, now all we need is a good picture of a dubia female giving birth (other species roach
doesnt count =) )

clear

Sub-Adult Member
kalipbean":bfc2c said:
So we have dubia roach sex, dubia roach egg sack, now all we need is a good picture of a dubia female giving birth (other species roach
doesnt count =) )

With the many thousands I have, I have only seen it a few times and never had the time to grab the camera and get it ready.

Triage

Hatchling Member
Hey Kalipbean, what is that your feeding them out of and what you have in that salad? I'm really digging that food bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom