Alfalfa Pellets for a Digging Box? *Dig Box added... Pics!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin79

Jess4921":1yhz8vsm said:
@Robin: Hehe, thanks!
I wanted to make Dudley's like that to match his basking platform, but I decided it would take too long to make LOL. But yeah, that would be a great idea.
How old are they? Personally, I would wait until they are at least juvies or sub-adults to give them a digging box, if they aren't already that old. But you could experiment with both, and see which one they like best.

@Laura: I tried a teeny tiny kitten litter box that I found, but the edges were a little high for Dud to climb over. A tin cake pan is a good idea too though. :D The new one I found for Dudley looks like it is supposed to be some kind of serving plate/bowl? I got it at a thrift store for $1 LOL. It has a funky shape, so I should get a pic of it soon!

Alfie isn't much more than 8 weeks old and sheik is no older than 6 weeks, I'll probably start making it over the next week and put it in empty to see they they adjust to it =] I feel bad for Alfie though because he loves digging. Everytime I put new kitchen roll down he was straight to the corner messing all my hard work up :/ He stood there looking very proud of himself too lol :blob5: I'll probably try the seed if I do because I would worry about them choking on a pellet.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Aww, so they're just little guys! :love5: Just be careful and make sure he doesn't accidentally eat it then, if you are going to let him dig when he is still tiny. Millet isn't supposed to taste good, so I don't think he would eat it on purpose at least, LOL.

Be sure to post pics when you are finished!

Robin79

Yeah I will do, I watch them all the time lol so if i catch him going for a seedy snack they'll be out of there :mrgreen:
Going to wickes tomorrow to see if I can get the stuff and i'll keep you all posted :)

Here's a pictures of Sheik I took this evening :D
Mobilephotos024.jpg

Robin79

So I couldn't find everything I needed in our hardware store so had to use my artistic talent! Cut the lid of a DSi box and balled up kitchen roll in it for a bed/dig thing. Alfie promptly responded his gratitude by relieving his bowels on it :/ good thing I spotted it and cleaned it because they both curled up to sleep in it together lastnight :D

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
This thread motivated me to give my female a dig box. Took her a couple days to make sure the box wasn't a threat, but after she acclimated, this resulted...
After about 2 minutes
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

All done...
IMG_0046.jpg

She's now on the other side of the enclosure giving me the "why don't you clean that look?". Great, another way for her to make a mess :p
Ignore the romaine, need to go to the store for greens :oops:

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
haha, Mine loves his dig box too.. I ended up getting on that had a little higher sides so the pellets don't go all over... it's funny because now he stands up in it and thows his arms over the sides and just 'hangs' and looks out the glass.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
LOL, she is so cute!! :lol: It looks like she approves. Has she tried to taste the alfalfa pellets yet? I'm wondering if all beardies think they are nasty, or if it is just Dudley.

BTW, my rabbit has the same litter box! At first I had gotten a mini version of it for Dud, but the little fatty had issues getting in/out of it. :roll:

Dudley sits in his a couple hours a day now. He doesn't usually dig in it very much, he just likes laying in it.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
She gave them a lick...but doesn't seem to be interested in eating them. They taste pretty bad...(don't ask how I know :lol:). As for getting in and out, she doesn't have any trouble. She is a good climber though and loves to scale whatever she can. Now that she's used the box, I'm actually thinking about something that's deeper. She was furiously digging until she hit the bottom of the tub...then she switched sides and started again. I'm thinking a deeper box might present more of a challenge. I'm just worried about her getting buried inadvertently.
I'll see how often she uses this one and go from there.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
This seems like an interesting topic. My aussie loves to dig and back in the day, playsand did him in with an accumulated $800 vet bill. So... maybe I will try either millet or alfafa.

I do not think I would evevr cover a heavy lizard with any loose subtrate or millet on the topic of uromastyx using millet or any animal using sand. Its not only an impaction risk or parasite risk but... for lizards that are heavy bodied like that, it certainly causes a lot of joint stress if you ever think about how exhauting it is to walk across areas of the beach that is heavy with light and loose sand.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Well, I did just discover one draw-back to alfalfa pellets: Since Dudley smells like them now, my rabbit seems to recognize him as a food source and follows him around trying to eat him if I let him run around. :lol: Rabbit-less house holds shouldn't experience this problem though!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
That's pretty freaking funny Jess! I did notice the smell of the pellets too. I couldn't find any millet, but if I do I'll probably switch. I do like the fact that she hasn't tried to eat any of the alfalfa pellets...its reassuring knowing she doesn't like them. They are very digestible though should she take a nibble. But you're right....it makes them smell like rabbit food :?

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Rabbit food smells better than Dudley's normal smell, IMO. :D It's just slightly hazardous for him!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Well after adding the dig box for Bacon, my female dragon, she has potty trained herself. Not one time after adding the dig box has she gone to the bathroom anywhere else BUT the digbox. I'm flabbergasted...she simply loves pooping in the box. Makes cleanup a breeze! I'm one happy owner right about now...especially considering how messy she used to be :puke:.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
LOL, she's litter box trained! :lol: Dudley loves to sleep in his, so he hasn't pooped in it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom