Alex's story now with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Hi everyone. We have had our baby for 3 weeks. My daughter had to have one after seeing one at our local saltwater store. After making her beg for a month, daddy finally broke down and told me to get a set up ready for one and he would take her to buy her first beardie. So like alot of others on here, I went to the local Petco and asked for the best advise I could find. Equipped with their care sheet and the help from an employee, I walked out $200 broker and half the stuff I found out was useless. Daddy did keep his promise and he and Elly went that night to get Alex, although we don't know what sex it is yet, she insisted on naming it after her brother. He likes it of course.... Then I found this site. I know I should have done it before our big purchase, but I didn't. I have learned so much and would like to thank everyone for all the info that has helped our little buddy still seem okay. I have changed a lot of things, such as purchasing the reptisun 10, I think it's called, switched his basking light to a normal household light, bought a probe thermometer, changed out the expensive sand to paper towel for now, and his mealworms to crickets dusted in the morning. So far everything is going well. Alex was almost 4 inches when we got him and now he is 7. We bath him every other day, and he likes it alot more now then when we first started. He's been pooing regular and I'm hoping that one day he will go in the bath. We had an iguana that did it that way, and I prefer that. After reading and reading on here, I think I have gotten everything figured out except for the temp in its viv. I can't seam to get the temp up past 94 degrees. Ever. I started him in a 10 gallon then moved him to a octagon tank I had in the basement as it was bigger. The dimensions of it are 24 high X 23 in diameter. My husband is planning on making a viv for Alex next weekend. If someone could give me some ideas on bringing up the temp that would be great. Again my lights are the reptisun 10 strip light and a 75w regular household light. I know I need to post a pick and I will figure that one out next.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi Gini ! Welcome to the wonderful world of Dragons ! And this family too ;)
Now, since you have all the correct items, I am thinking that you might want to use a house hold flood light instead of the 75w. Try a 60w flood and see if that doesn't bump those basking temps right up !
Please do post a photo, we love pictures here ;)
Hugs and Welcome again !
Janie.

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for your reply. I've already went and got a new flood light, will check the temp in a few. Now I just need to figure out how to post a couple photos...

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
100_8037.jpg

100_8024.jpg

100_8048.jpg

100_8049.jpg

Finally figured it out. I just love how Alex likes to watch our saltwater tank. He watches it like he's at the drive in then after a bit he tries like crazy to get in. Drives the clown fish nuts. Anyways, here's our baby.

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you. It's amazing how fast they become a real part of the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom