Albon and Panacur? Diagnosed with Coccidia and Hookworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksmom

My 5 month old male dragon was diagnosed with Coccidia and Hookworms today. He is 15 inches long and weighs 198 grams. He is eating and pooping fine. He has been sluggish and not his normal wild self so I took in a fecal sample. I wanted opinions on what these numbers mean. The vet said the hookworms were 0-3 hpF and the coccidia was 15-30 hpF. The gave him Albon - 50 mg/ml give 0.19 cc for 3 days then every other day for 1 week. He has panacur for the hookworms - 3 prefilled syringes to last 3 days.

Does this sound like accurate dosing? His lights are on daily from 9 am to 9 pm. I work 8-5. When should I give him his medicine? Should he be fed before our after his meds? I also have acidophiliz +. When should I give him it - before or after the meds?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you know what the concentration of the solution of the Panacur is, the 10%? Did he dose him 50mg/kg also on the Panacur?
The dose for the Albon at .19ml is fine. The dosing is conservative along with the duration.
The numbers are counts per Field which is the viewing area, but not per slide I believe.
The normal counts for Coccida are 1-4+ with 4+ being on the higher end. The same counts go for the Worms, also. Most of the time, if a count is 3-4+, treatment is recommended especially if their health is being affected.
His meds should be given in the morning after he has warmed up a little bit. Then you can feed him after an hour or so, once his meds have had time to settle. I would give the acidophiliz later in the day, to assimilate in his system adequately.

He is eating well right now?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

nicksmom

Original Poster
I don't know the concentration on the pancur. He pre-filled 3 syringes to give him for 3 days. He is eating like a horse. The only difference I have noticed in him is that he is more tired and sluggish. He lays in the same spot all day. He will get up to eat and poo but that is about it. The reason I asked about giving the medicine at what time is because I am only home from 6 - 9:30 pm when his lights are on. So we have to fit all medicine, feedings and baths into this time frame.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Can you change his lighting schedule so that they go on an hour or so before you leave the house? Then you can give him his meds in the morning and leave him with food.

nicksmom

Original Poster
I leave him veggies for during the day but he is so spoiled he waits for me to come home and hand feed them to him. :) He also gets his bath and Dubias in the evening when I get home. If I made his light schedule 6 am to 6 pm I wouldn't be able to bathe him or give him his feeders.

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Is it possible you could come homefrom work in your lunch break?

Or if not increase his light times to 14 hour days so you could have them go on at 6am and go off at 8pm??? Just while he needs the meds.

nicksmom

Original Poster
Yes, I thought of that this morning. It is 20 minutes one way so I could drive home and have 20 minutes with him.

As for the longer light duration - he is already trying to bed down early so I don't know if that would work.

So are you suggesting to go home at lunch and give him the panacur and albon and then his dubias and acidophiliz + in the evening?

Spikey07

Juvie Member
if he is already trying to go to bed early the longer lights idea will probably not work!

Yes, I would go home and give him the meds, then after work give him dubia and acidophiliz+.

Make sure he has the dubia and acidophiliz+ no less than 2 hours before his lights go off.

nicksmom

Original Poster
Ok, I went home and gave him the meds. He made this airy gasping sound after the Albon. At first I thought he was mad at me but he had never done that before. I have been bothering him by prying his mouth open though. Then I wondered if maybe the meds went down wrong when he swallowed. Agghhh. This shouldn't be so worrisome.

Spikey07

Juvie Member
he could have been hissing at you if he was annoyed???

Keep an eye on him, hopefully he did not aspirate any.

nicksmom

Original Poster
It definitely didn't go down his nose. Could it have went down his throat wrong. He seemed ok after making the sound about 4 times. I have to wonder why me. He is so healthy looking and fat. I hate putting him through this. I'm just hoping that we caught it early enough that we can knock it out with this treatment. I told my husband to go home and check on him. He will not touch him but will observe through the glass. How funny is that!

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Haha very funny.

I think it may well be that he was hissing at you. My beardie, Spike, did this at me when I gave him meds for coccidia. He was ok with the panacur but hated the stuff for coccidia (can't remember the name) but the vet told me it tastes really bad.

You could try injecting it into a wax worm, butter worm, horn worm, instead of forcing it??? I have found this works well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom