AHHH!! Help! Hurting a Friends Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, well...

This is a long story, so please stick with me here.

First, let me say thank god there are sites out there like this for people like us with exotic pets. I can't imagine having them without people like you all and your wise advice!

Anyhow, our friend went on vacation and left his adult female beardie with us for three weeks for convenience and also to breed her with our adult male. We have four beardies of our own, in gargantuan tanks with all the "stuff" they could possibly need. So her brought over a tank for her but he did not bring her uvb light because he didn't want it to break, "whatever". :roll: Now I will go back to the previous month. Our two sided 175 gallon tank has double uvb light bars left/right. They are the long tubes. Well one of the fixtures just stopped working (I think it was just older than ass) and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So I had bought these coil uvb lights on clearance forever ago and decided I would just use those instead for a while. I never thought anything of it and had never really read any negative posts about them.

Well, I put them in the right side of the tank which is princess's side. I noticed in the next week or so that she started to act funny. She became weak and lethargic. She used to literally plunge head first into her bath to drink and she would attack the greens as if she hadn't ate in months. She all but stopped eating and drinking all together. She slept all day long under her rock and if we put her back in the light she would crawl under it again.

I guess she was being poisoned? That is awful!! I had absolutely no idea what was going on with her.
Her eyes started getting gunky and she started not opening them very much!!
Well, we got some more money than usual and I was able to buy all four new bulbs and her fixture so she went back to her normal light tube and I put the other away. Gradually she returned to normal. I thought she had just gotten sick for some reason.

Now I go back to when we got Trado his new tank and didn't have a tube light for it. Well, I had just bought those stupid Zilla coil bulbs on clearance. He is my adult male we have had since he was an egg. I was using the coil bulb and worse yet it was only about eight inches from his head! He has a shelf that he is usually on all day so I put it above there.

>> I need to know from someone if this can cause permanent eye damage?

It has been almost a year since we got his tube light and he still has terrible eye problems! :( His eyes are constantly getting all crapped up. He had the stupid coil thing for almost six months.

Now this takes me to the present day. So my friend bring over his girl, Mango, with no bulb. I still do not know about this whole bulb ordeal. So I get out the evil poison coil bulb and put it over her, glad that I had a spare! I didn't put it on her at first because I didn't have a spare light fixture. The first week was without the bulb and then I bought a fixture and put it over her. I decided to use a brand new Zilla bulb so the poison would be extra strong!! :puke:

Well, then she started acting funny. Same thing, hiding all the time, not opening her eyes, not eating.

Then the "light bulb" went off in my head. I said, "wait a minute here. Every time I use one of these lights my dragons mysteriously get very sick. "

I did a search on this site and got about a million hits! Bingo.
Unbelievable!! They should not even be selling these!!!

>> My question is, how long is she going to be sick for? I can't give him back a broken down lizard!! He will kill me!

What do I do with her now? What can I do to make her feel better?

Thanks everyone!!
Jay

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello Jay,

I am sorry to hear of your situation and what you have been through with those coil bulbs.
Have you removed the zilla bulb from Mango's tank? If not, remove it asap! She will be fine for the time being without any uvb until you can get her a new one(if you are able). How are her eyes? Is she keeping her eyes closed and/or are they gunked up? Unfortunately, these bulbs put out very harmful uv rays. What you are seeing with the eyes is PKC(photo kerato conjuctivitis), which is a painful eye condition caused by over exposure to UV. Luckily the eyes heal quickly and will start to heal as soon as the zilla bulb is turned off. If her eyes have been affected, it is best to let them rest for 4-5 days with NO uvb at all. A heat bulb will be sufficient. You can also use a sterile saline wash or turtle eye drops to help soothe the discomfort in her eyes.
She should recover with no problem, so don't worry.
It's too bad that all of your beardies had to suffer as a result of these bulbs. :(
The only decent uvb on the market right now is the ReptiSun 10 fluorescent tube uvb. If you cannot find them locally you can get them online here http://www.petmountain.com
The fluorescent tube UVB's also need to be changed every 6 months.
Hope this helps!

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
you can also take her outside everyday for some natural rays.
The Repitsun 10 at petmountain costs around 25$ shipped.

GoPurdue28

Original Poster
OMG, right after I posted this I got her out of her tank again.

Her eyes look burnt! They are all black around them and everything!
I am not imagining this, they were never like this before. What could this be? Also, she has turned an unusual color for her, pale grey and yellow. She has stayed this color for a few days now.
I am worried now that I see these burn mark things around her eyes.

Help

CodyK

Hatchling Member
Wait, so these are those Coiled Zilla bulbs? the ones that look like a regular energy efficient bulb?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
How is Mango doing today? Did you remove the zilla bulb?
Is she opening her eyes since turning off the light? How do they look now?
Could you post a pic of her eyes for us?

GoPurdue28

Original Poster
Okay well, Mango seems a little better today. After three days she finally opened her eyes. She keeps them open for a little minute, then closed today. I got her to eat a grape. No greens, drinking yet. Het color looks a bit better. I think she will be fine. I still feel guilty though, it's my fault so of.
Thanks everyone!
Jay

GoPurdue28

Original Poster
Yes DEFINATELY bathing her. I have also flushed her eyes with saline several times daily and that seems to make her a lot more comfortable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom