Aggressive female

My witblet bearded dragon has been very aggressive, flattening out, flaring the beard, hissing, attempting to bite... Is there any way to correct this behavior? She also tries to attack my other bearded dragons through the glass when I have them out... Obviously she's not going to be a breeder like I was hoping 😔

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My witblet bearded dragon has been very aggressive, flattening out, flaring the beard, hissing, attempting to bite... Is there any way to correct this behavior? She also tries to attack my other bearded dragons through the glass when I have them out... Obviously she's not going to be a breeder like I was hoping 😔
UVB and temps in the tank can cause this kind of behavior--- colored bulbs etc --- NO coils for UVB -surface basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer- your stressing her out by her seeing the other dragons another indicator of aggressive behavior- dragons should be not able to see one another ---

DragonSoul

Original Poster
UVB and temps in the tank can cause this kind of behavior--- colored bulbs etc --- NO coils for UVB -surface basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer- your stressing her out by her seeing the other dragons another indicator of aggressive behavior- dragons should be not able to see one another ---
She only is able to see them when I have them out to run around. I have everything set up that was recommended... I asked the previous owner and was told she's just temperamental.

DragonSoul

Original Poster
She only is able to see them when I have them out to run around. I have everything set up that was recommended... I asked the previous owner and was told she's just temperamental.
Just trying to see if there was ways to correct this behavior. Seems pretty set in stone since she's 3 now. I have the bar UVB I just purchased and I do check their temps with a thermometer.

DragonSoul

Original Poster
Just trying to see if there was ways to correct this behavior. Seems pretty set in stone since she's 3 now. I have the bar UVB I just purchased and I do check their temps with a thermometer.
She's my 4th beardy I've owned and I've just never had anything like this behavior before out of them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She should not be able to see them at all --- if everything is good w/ the temps and UVB then I can only say it is for sure the "being able to see" the other dragons---- is she black bearding? Who did you get the recommended tank set up from? Dragons are normally docile and do not bite --- there is extenuating things that are causing the behavior-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Bar UVB? Brand and bulb please and where is it on the tank -- inside or top of screen? Surface basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?

DragonSoul

Original Poster
Bar UVB? Brand and bulb please and where is it on the tank -- inside or top of screen? Surface basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?
I put the light on the screen of the tank normally, does that reduce the effectiveness? The Zo Med temperature reader is an example of what I used to use.. do you recommend that over the other one??

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_185239385.jpg
    IMG_20231123_185239385.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20231123_185155089.jpg
    IMG_20231123_185155089.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20231123_185145988.jpg
    IMG_20231123_185145988.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20231123_185056652_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231123_185056652_HDR.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20231123_185029370.jpg
    IMG_20231123_185029370.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20231123_185005704.jpg
    IMG_20231123_185005704.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 32

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Zoo med is the black reader
Ok good UVB and yes screen effects effectiveness screens block 30% rays-- bulb needs to be changed out every 10-11 months --- fine mesh screen inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece - wide hole type screen can stay on top of screen but distance needs to be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor piece - IR gun is good but not accurate off of certain basking materials like hammocks or slate rock surfaces -- I recommend getting a Zoo Med digital probe thermometer sold at Pet Smart or Petco or some of your on line pet stores like pet mountain or pangea reptile etc ---

DragonSoul

Original Poster
Ok good UVB and yes screen effects effectiveness screens block 30% rays-- bulb needs to be changed out every 10-11 months --- fine mesh screen inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece - wide hole type screen can stay on top of screen but distance needs to be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor piece - IR gun is good but not accurate off of certain basking materials like hammocks or slate rock surfaces -- I recommend getting a Zoo Med digital probe thermometer sold at Pet Smart or Petco or some of your on line pet stores like pet mountain or pangea reptile etc ---
Thank you so much! I'm thinking she might just be a more aggressive lizard thank im used to. Thanks so much for your input! I will definitely be working on the tanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much! I'm thinking she might just be a more aggressive lizard thank im used to. Thanks so much for your input! I will definitely be working on the tanks!
Keep us posted on her behavior after you make the necessary adjustments for her

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How old, what size is she and how long have you had her ? This is definitely temperament, not bulb related. Sometimes they settle down after a while but don't let her see the other dragons at all. Does her beard turn dark ? If you've had her for 2 weeks or more you need to start handling her. Put on a glove if you need to ,pick her up nd hold her against your chest for 5-10 minutes a day. Don't worry if she wiggles a bit, just hold her close. After a while she should settle down, then you can relax more, set her on your lap, etc.

Last edited:

DragonSoul

Original Poster
How old, what size is she and how long have you had her ? This is definitely temperament, not bulb related. Sometimes they settle down after a while but don't let her see the other dragons at all. Does her beard turn dark ? If you've had her for 2 weeks or more you need to start handling her. Put on a glove if you need to ,pick her up nd hold her against your chest for 5-10 minutes a day. Don't worry if she wiggles a bit, just hold her close. After a while she should settle down, then you can relax more, set her on your lap, etc.
Owner said she's always been temperamental on the ground. She's 3 years.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom