Advice with light!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! Hope everyone having a good day so far. I need some advice with my light. I use the 36" tube T8 ReptiSun I believe it's call. I was told its better to use this bulb rather than any other in the market. But my concern is how often do I need to change my bulbs? Also I've had my bulb for about 6 months but when I turn it on it makes this noise and then it goes off and comes back on by itself as if it wasn't making connection. I checked the cables and they all seem fine. What can be the cause of it? I was thinking maybe the bulb is giving out and need to replace it. How long can my beardie go without it? I take him outside in the yard and lay in the hammock we have and put him on my chest so he may get some natural light. But at times I'm not home through out the day and he needs his light. Thanks in advice.

Christian

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
After 6 months, the uv will begin to degrade, but the manufacturer claims a year.
The flickering is caused by the ballast.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
Just make sure the wattage of the bulbs matches the fixture. Retisun 10.0 is a high output bulb, most fixtures are standard output.

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Actually spoke with Todd from Lightyourreptiles.com as I was confused about the labeling at amazon (the reptisun 10 tubes were listed as 'high output uv"). I called him to find out if I needed a HO fixture or not and he said that as far as he knows Reptisun does NOT make a HO (vs NO) bulb and that the 'high output' was more then likely referring to the amount of UV put out not the power of the fixture needed.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
foolsgold":2z1nvx3u said:
Actually spoke with Todd from Lightyourreptiles.com as I was confused about the labeling at amazon (the reptisun 10 tubes were listed as 'high output uv"). I called him to find out if I needed a HO fixture or not and he said that as far as he knows Reptisun does NOT make a HO (vs NO) bulb and that the 'high output' was more then likely referring to the amount of UV put out not the power of the fixture needed.
The difference in the reptisun 5 and the 10 is the distance the uvb travels. The 5.o it travels 12 inches and the 10.0 its 20. Its my understanding that the 10 is high out put which is what dessert lizards need

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Yes the UV is HIGH OUTPUT but the energy used (fixture type needed) is not high output (HO) it is nominal output (NO). That's where I was getting confused, I thought the high output was referring to the type of fixture needed.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
All of the 48" T8 light fixtures for sale at Lowes and Home Depot say right on the box, 32 Watts. If you look at the actual ballast, it says 32 watts. A standard output ballast on a 48" bulb maxes out at 32W. The Box of the ReptiSun 10.0 48" bulb says 36W. If you call the manufacturer, for example Home Depot's fixtures are made by Lithonia lighting, they will tell you the maximum output is 32 Watts, if you need to use a 36 Watt bulb, you need to contact the ballast manufacturer to obtain the appropriate ballast for you application. I also learned from a Pharmaceutical Grower that if you do not have the proper wattage, the surface of the bulb does not heat up enough to interact with the gas inside the bulb to produce the UV rays your intending to do. Just because it "fires" (gives off light) does not mean its working properly. It will also shorten the life of the bulb because it's not operating as designed.
If you want to learn about UV Light, talk to a Pharmaceutical Grower, their whole world revolves around lighting and climate control.
If you use the Repti Glo 10.0 it requires 40 watts.

Now here is where Zoo Med makes things even more confusing. If you visit their site http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...7czoxOiIwIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjE6IjAiO30=
They show the ReptiSun 10.0 48" as being 32 watts, I got excited about this, problem solved. I called the shop, they said they had 2 in stock, I drove half an hour to get them. When I got there, the box clearly said 36 watts. I was not happy.

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Wow Sean thank you for that information. I was just passing on what had been explained to me. I'll have to check my fixture again to be sure it's right.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
I am new to Beardie Husbandry, we got Nero in February. I have done research ad nauseam on the subject because a friend of mine that is a licensed pharmaceutical grower chastised me about my UV lighting. I then started doing research to prove him wrong only to prove him right :banghead:

But my beardie will be better off because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom