Advice please, beardie jumping into glass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skira

Hi All,

So I finally finished my new enclosure and put my beardie in for the first time. He seemed to like it.. up until the point when he launched from his new basking rock straight into the glass.. he didn't just do this once... but twice. So I took him out and put him back in his old enclosure (which is all glass and he never jumps into the sides, he occasionally misjudges the edges but thats about it) And now I have no idea what to do. I'm too worried to put him back into his new enclosure in case he hurts himself. Anyone else's beardies do this? Any way to stop him from jumping into the glass?

I realize its because he doesn't know the glass is there, but now i'm stuck... I was so looking forward to him enjoying his new enclosure too :(

I can post photos of the enclosure if that will help.

Mine did the same exact thing but i just went to petsmart and got a desert background to go around all three sides of the tank exept the front part for viewing. It seems to have fixed the problem. Good luck!

Skira

Original Poster
Thanks, I am very glad that worked for you. However its the front glass which he's jumping into :( I have a desert background on the back of his enclosure and the two sides are white.
This has been bothering me all day , I can't think of a solution. I wonder if he will learn eventually that there is glass there, but I can't just sit there and watch him jumping into the glass face first.. two times was bad enough.

Skira

Original Poster
Sorry for double post but has this happened to no one else?

I have had two ideas so far, either I can put something against the glass so that he can see there is a barrier, although I don't know what. Or I can put the enclosure on a stand so he doesn't have a view of the floor, thinking he can jump onto it. The stand will take some time to build >.<

I took mine out and ahowed him there was nothing to jump at on the other side and that might have helped lol. Maybe put a paper towel on the front window for now?

japcarsBrett

Hatchling Member
mine dose it and i have no background in my viv its a wood viv with just glass for viewing at the front mine bd does it now again he won't do it for weeks then suddenly he will launch at it but don't worry he will learn not to do it i think they catch there reflection thinking its another bd so they go for it as they are very territorial

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Also, try to be sure the light OUTSIDE the viv is stronger than the light inside, it will stop the reflection if that is the problem.

He *will* learn and I know it is hard, but really give it a few more days and see how it goes. If it is sliding glass, try only opening the glass on the side he does *not* jump from. If you are opening the side he jumps into it will confuse him for awhile. Keeping that side always shut and going in from the other side will stop it soon enough.

If it is a 4 glass side aquarium type, then sorry about that, that info will not help :roll: If that is the case, then put a towel over just the part he jumps into for a few days and it really will likely stop :)

Sherri

GDP

I think you have to remember they are reptiles, and therfore not very smart. They probably just dont get the concept of glass. They can see outside but cant comprehend why they can get to it.

Skira

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice! I think whats happening, is that he thinks he can jump outside his enclosure, but it could be his reflection as well. I will check that as soon as I get home. I cant bring myself to leave him in there to jump into the glass, I am way too scared he will hurt himself ,as the spot where he jumps from is quite a distance. I will try your suggestions and see how it goes.

Skira

Original Poster
Sorry for the double post, but just an update in case this ever happens to anyone else. He stopped jumping into the glass after he settled into his new enclosure. He seems very happy now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom