Advice for a sick baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codyman503

Hello,
i have recently acquired a baby bearded dragon from a friend, she had won him at a pet convention and i think he has been through a ton of stress via traveling and seeing a lot of people. he was being fed the Fluckers brand juvenile diet but hasnt touched it since ive had him. he is very skinny and lethargic but i was able to get him to eat about 6 meal worms his first day home with me. i already own a beardie but he has been fairly healthy thus far and i didnt know if any one had some tips for nursing a baby *5 or 6 weeks old* back to better health? also, im saying he is a boy because he has a blue mark right before his tail that the breeder put there. anyone know if that is correct?

Luthien

Juvie Member
Sounds like this poor baby has been through a lot!

First off stop the meal worms, their not good for any age dragon but especially babies. He/she needs crickets right now to get the nutrition back, make sure their gut loaded.

Really he/she just needs care I think, too much stress and not the right things have caused this. I don't know how much you know about dragons so I'm just going to do the check list, sorry if I repeat things you already know :p

You need:
- Basking light (temp under it should be 100-110F)
- UVB light (temp under it should be 75-85F)
For the temps as close to the high end as possible
- Hard substrate such as tiles, non adhesive shelf liner, newspaper, paper towel
- The right diet, see this site it's awesome! http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
- Calcium and vitamins
- Baths (2-3 times a week for now, once healthy 1-2 times a week)

Have patience and get his/surroundings right and he/she should become healthy and happy again. Also there is no way if your dragon is 5-6 weeks old that the breeder would know if it's a male or female. You can't tell for sure on dragons till their 5-6 months old.

Codyman503

Original Poster
Thanks!

i figured as much with the blue dot.

i have another beardie that i have had since last august and he has been very healthy, but since this little one is sick i knew i need to see if there was anything specific. he came with a cage and blubs and everything so i kinda lucked out on that one :p but i will need to get a bigger cage later on.

any advice is helpful advice so thank you very much! and im sure this little dude will be healthy and active very soon!

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
Luthien":2h1vsqwc said:
Sounds like this poor baby has been through a lot!

First off stop the meal worms, their not good for any age dragon but especially babies. He/she needs crickets right now to get the nutrition back, make sure their gut loaded. you can also use dubia's they are really good for them also, just make sure they are only the size of the space between your beardies eyes

Really he/she just needs care I think, too much stress and not the right things have caused this. I don't know how much you know about dragons so I'm just going to do the check list, sorry if I repeat things you already know :p

You need:
- Basking light (temp under it should be 100-110F)
- UVB light (temp under it should be 75-85F)the uvb doesn't really matter what the temp is, you want to double check your bulb.... you should have either a reptisun 10.0 or an arcadia d3 12% linear tube bulb... if you have something other than these brands you could be actually harming your beardie, you should have a cool side for your beardie with the mentioned temps above
For the temps as close to the high end as possible
- Hard substrate such as tiles, non adhesive shelf liner, newspaper, paper towel
- The right diet, see this site it's awesome! http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.htmllove this site
- Calcium and vitaminscalcium should be dusted 1 feeding 5 days a week, and vitamins 1 feeding 2 days a week
- Baths (2-3 times a week for now, once healthy 1-2 times a week)

Have patience and get his/surroundings right and he/she should become healthy and happy again. Also there is no way if your dragon is 5-6 weeks old that the breeder would know if it's a male or female. You can't tell for sure on dragons till their 5-6 months old.
Thought I'd just tack on to your post and add my two cents... good luck

Codyman503

Original Poster
thank you both again so much! just a little update, i adjusted some of the things in his cage, and he seems to be warming up to us at home. he is still eating very little but after i gave him a bath this morning he seemed a bit more lively and aware. im hoping he will pull through, im just going to keep using all this helpful advice and making sure he is as comfortable as possible

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
I'm glad to hear there is some improvement. Make sure you take pictures as you nurse him/her back to health. We enjoy seeing the love people give do wonders. Good luck sounds like someone already has a better home and love :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom