Advice anybody ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qagcl

My bd gets really dark in her tank and idk if im just being a paranoid owner but when she hides in my shirt she gets really bright and beautiful lookin with no stress marks but once in her tank they appear and she gets dark. I heard they do that to absorb more heat but in her tank she just looks so annoyed and angry. Her light are fine and her appetite is fine so idk what can it be is there anything I can use to bring out her colors more ? And I get the same effect with the baby I have, when he's in my shirt he's bright no stress marks but once in the tank he tends to darken up a abit ( not as bad as my juvenile bd) and his stress marks appear.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the details of your lighting? What are your temps in the basking spot and on the cool side of the tank?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, I saw your pictures in this thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=141955&p=1657317#p1657316 and noticed that you using a digital strip thermometer which are very inaccurate. Is that the only way you have of checking temps?

In the other picture of your baby, there's a red light in use during the night. Unfortunately, those can disturb their sleep so that's why we commend using a ceramic heat emitter if the night temp drops to 65, otherwise no night heating is necessary.

Could you give us the specifics of the lighting in both tanks including UVB?

Qagcl

Original Poster
CooperDragon":38ow9hxs said:
What are the details of your lighting? What are your temps in the basking spot and on the cool side of the tank?
My lighting set up is a 60w daytime light that I use for basking (temps go from 98-105)and she has a 13w uvb150 which I read might be to strong for her because today she woke up with one eye constantly closed and the other seems kind of swollen and then I have a regular house fixture inside just to light up the other side of her tank, her cool side is about 75-85. I'm kind of freaking out because she doesn't seem she's doin to well with her eyes I feel like the petshop just sold me anything I've spent over 100$ in lights alone for them tryin to get the right things.

Qagcl

Original Poster
diamc":d92ekl5t said:
Hi, I saw your pictures in this thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=141955&p=1657317#p1657316 and noticed that you using a digital strip thermometer which are very inaccurate. Is that the only way you have of checking temps?

In the other picture of your baby, there's a red light in use during the night. Unfortunately, those can disturb their sleep so that's why we commend using a ceramic heat emitter if the night temp drops to 65, otherwise no night heating is necessary.

Could you give us the specifics of the lighting in both tanks including UVB?

Yea I switched it to a blue light because it gets waaaaay to cold at night but I keep the light on the side of the beardies tank so the light won't disturb them until I get money to buy the ceramic heater, and yes currently that is my only way to check temps I got them set up where the beardies usually lay so I can get the most accurate reading possible but I also read I should invest in a infrared temp gun for better readings, now the baby set up is the same as the adult setup. I've spent a lot of money on them and now I feel bad that I did everything wrong and now they are suffering :oops:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just posted in your ER thread. I'm sorry that you were given the wrong info from the petshop, that has happened to a lot of us here. :( Good that you turned off the compact UVB for both of them, wouldn't turn those back on again.

Even with the digital strips right on the basking spots, you're not going to be able to get an accurate reading and you will need either a temp gun or digital with long wire & probe end. If you want links for those, let me know.

Qagcl

Original Poster
diamc":3qny4yqo said:
I just posted in your ER thread. I'm sorry that you were given the wrong info from the petshop, that has happened to a lot of us here. :( Good that you turned off the compact UVB for both of them, wouldn't turn those back on again.

Even with the digital strips right on the basking spots, you're not going to be able to get an accurate reading and you will need either a temp gun or digital with long wire & probe end. If you want links for those, let me know.
Yes please I would appreciate it

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The only recommended UVB lights are the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent tube or the Arcadia brand. Besides those, the only other ones recommended are some mercury vapor bulbs which produce UVA & UVB lighting but shouldn't be used on a tank any smaller than a 40 gallon breeder because the bulbs are strong.

Is there a reason you don't want to use a Repti-Sun fluorescent tube?

Qagcl

Original Poster
diamc":1xo4lsia said:
The only recommended UVB lights are the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent tube or the Arcadia brand. Besides those, the only other ones recommended are some mercury vapor bulbs which produce UVA & UVB lighting but shouldn't be used on a tank any smaller than a 40 gallon breeder because the bulbs are strong.

Is there a reason you don't want to use a Repti-Sun fluorescent tube?

I don't have the fixture to place the tube in yet that's why I wanted something temporarily until I get the fixture for the tube.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB bulbs that go in the domes, compact or coil, aren't very good & won't provide the right amount of wavelength and some can cause more health issues so there's really no sense in picking up one of them. You can get a fixture from Amazon or Walmart. Here's what they look like & are reasonably priced: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Cabinet-Fluorescent-Light-Stick/dp/B0026KW4QK/ref=pd_sim_hi_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FAFT5BSTKD1GZRJA799 Amazon states that this bulb is high output but the box shows that it's a standard T8 so you would want to mount it in the tank for more benefit.

Qagcl

Original Poster
diamc":1yahhu9h said:
The UVB bulbs that go in the domes, compact or coil, aren't very good & won't provide the right amount of wavelength and some can cause more health issues so there's really no sense in picking up one of them. You can get a fixture from Amazon or Walmart. Here's what they look like & are reasonably priced: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Cabinet-Fluorescent-Light-Stick/dp/B0026KW4QK/ref=pd_sim_hi_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FAFT5BSTKD1GZRJA799 Amazon states that this bulb is high output but the box shows that it's a standard T8 so you would want to mount it in the tank for more benefit.

So the bulb and fixture would fit each other if I buy from both the links you sent me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom