Adult only eating baby food and no live feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
**CROSS POSTED IN FEEDING**

Okay, heres the short story...

When Mustashio was a baby he ate tons of greens and crickets. Then grew into adulthood and would only eat supers, hornworms, butter and occasional silks. Then he dropped vegi's all together and believe me when I tell you I tried everything! I still put vegis in his viv daily but he hasn't touched it in over a year. He would brumate and then come out with a ravenous appetite, but then it was only supers he wanted. Then that slowed down and he would only eat hornworms (but if they got too big, he wouldn't touch them). He will not HUNT anything! Took him to the vet back in October for regular checkup and everything was fine, but they recommended I give him some sort of green vegi baby food at least 2x a week. They gave me a special syringe with a rod that goes right down the gullet and showed me how to do it so that there is no risk of aspiration (which is reportedly pretty hard to do) Tashi does not mind it at all and I have been mixing liquid calcium and/or vitamins at the appropriate times per week.

My concern is that he will no longer eat any proteins or live feeders AT ALL anymore, and I'm wondering if he is getting too dependent on the syringe feeding. The husbandry is all the same for the last 1.5years, and I have been changing the Reptisun 10.0 tube bulb every 6 months religiously. He isn't losing weight, he is 2yr old and weighs 560g. Pooping is fine although it isn't as formed as it was when he was eating live feeders better. I have noticed he has actually been drinking water in his baths lately (which he gets at least 3x/week) and the humidity has been really low lately, but I live in MN and it has been fridgid cold here so I have been having to turn up his basking light a bit to maintain it at 105 degrees on his spot, and I would suppose it is making it extra dry in his viv.

Any suggestions? Oh also, if I am going to stick to the baby food, what kinds are best? Vegi's meats? Or should I try some critical care type sludge to add in some protein? I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well you could try to get a little stern by letting them no if u don't eat your meat, u won't eat much (they will have to eat more eventually) (still feed him but only a little when he refuses) but u must remember when they are adults, they only eat 20% meat and 80% veggies and fruit. Also, if u don't make them hunt as they grow, they will become lazy.

Some baby foods I would reccomend is applesauce (all natural), chicken mixes (with non-toxic to them) and (this isn't babyfood ) 100% canned pumpkin. And also I would reccomend feeding him spicy radish stems, they love em'! Or baby argula. Some carrots and apples are good to.

I wish you and your beardie the best!!!

p.s.- try to change the cage set up completely
And he may be trying to brumate,he may just keep awaking and making it last longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom