Adult feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickseedog

Breyas the Baby Beardie is now about two years old and definitely no baby any more! He seems to be going through beardie teen-years, complete with mood swings and attitude. He also is a bottomless pit! He is a full 24" long and still having regular sheds. And he is getting FAT! But he looks at me so balefully when I try to withhold food. How often and how much is every one out there feeding their adult beardies?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Wow! 24" long... he's a big boy! Does he have any GG in him?
At two years of age he should definitely be on an adult diet. Adult diets consist of 80% veggies and 20% protein.
30-50 live feeders a week is all he needs. You mentioned he is getting fat, so I would stay on the lower end of that feeding scale, like 30-40 feeders a week.
My 6 yr old beardie gets about 35 supers a week and horns every several weeks when I have them.

What are you feeding Breyas? Some feeders tend to be a little higher in fat than others.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I try to give them salad every other day alternating it between the roaches. I give them as much roaches as they can consume. That's not many since they are older now. :D They won't eat when they are not hungry and thus, it's hard to overfeed them. I do look for sign of obesity. Note: the word obesity, and not robust or chubby! Being robust and chubby doesn't mean unhealthy. A lot of the diseases are genetics... Nothing to do with eating too much, if there is such for bearded, or reptiles for that matter. Well, some genetic diseases in humans can be made worse by eating too much. Gorging really is the term use for dogs and people who will eat even when they are not hungry. Most reptiles don't gorge and stop when they are full.

Trickseedog

Original Poster
Well, maybe he is "robust and healthy." But he looks a little pregnant! I feed him probably about fifty crickets per week. He eats the packaged Bearded Dragon soft food (I think by Zoo Med, I don't have the package right now), about 1 1/2 tablespoons every two or three days. He also loves Flukers Buffet Blend. Since it contains crickets and meal worms he may be getting too much protein. I also give him three-six supers occassionally. During the spring I pick and rinse fresh dandilion greens and clover from our weedy yard. I offer greens several times a week, but, except for those fresh spring greens, he usually doesn't want them very much. I also have a hard time getting my 11-year-old to eat her veggies. I'm open to suggestions for both of them. Let's see: Breyas does not like yellow squash, zuchinni, carrots.... He will eat a couple of bites of strawberry, won't touch a banana, LOVES watermelon, likes a taste of grapes if they are sweet. My daughter's science fair project was "how many licks to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop." We let Breyas try. He loves Tootsie Pops, but I'm a Dental Hygienist and don't want him hurting his teeth. (He only licks twice before chomping.)

He needs more time out of the cage. We have a large house with many hiding places and a beagle that REALLY wants a lizard, so we can't just turn him loose. We let him run up and down the hall and stairs under close supervision when we can. He is in a forty-gallon breeder tank.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
You're not letting him eat the Tootsie Pop, are you? :D Or, do you just mean that he bites it when you let him lick it? It's not really good for them to eat it.

Trickseedog

Original Poster
:lol: It was a one-time photo opp.--just got a shot of him biting and posted on her science fair board along with the human family units licking the pops! I just changed it for my profile pic. Silly Lizard!!!! :roll:

nadlemgarcia

I think adults shouldn't eat too much chocolates and sweets. It is not only because we are after of their health but because it their teeth enamel at their age isn't that strong enough. They should observe the proper oral care or else they could accumulate a disease and sometimes, it could be that serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom