Adult dragon only eating worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericchaos

Hatchling Member
When he was a baby, I spoiled him with phoenix worms and super worms. Now, he's about a year and a half old, and he'll still only eat worms. I know he should be eating more greens and fruits now, but he just won't eat them. I try mixing worms in with his salad, but he just picks out the worms. I decided that I'm not giving him any more worms until he starts to eat salad, but he still isn't eating. Its been about 2 days, so I gave him some super worms just so he has SOMETHING.

Any help? I made a nice salad for him make of collards, dandelion, and carrots. He'll go up and stare at it, but not touch it.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
If he is at a good weight, and has been eating daily (or every other day) up until this point, there is every chance he's just not that hungry yet. Sometimes it can take a week or two of a much restricted diet before they'll cave and start eating their greens.

Ultimately, they won't let themselves starve if there is some kind of food in front of them. :) Maybe give him 4 or 5 worms every few days, but otherwise only offer greens for a while, just to sharpen his appetite and get him started with eating his greens. A little tough love works wonders.

-Jen

ericchaos

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow. Really? I get scared when he goes a day without eating lol

I know as they get older they shouldnt be eating so many worms, and more greens. How important is this, really?

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
ericchaos":2ezcdl1g said:
Wow. Really? I get scared when he goes a day without eating lol

I know as they get older they shouldnt be eating so many worms, and more greens. How important is this, really?

My experience has been that they will still live between 7 to 10 years of age with a diet heavy in insects and less in greens. I've even encountered several older beardies (10 to 15 years) that were fed entirely on superworms and mealworms, with no other food in their diet at all.

Ideally, yes, you should include greens in their diet. And yes, they typically will eat much more greens as adults than babies. But it's not the end of the world if they don't clean their plate, and they're not going to die if they keep eating more worms than greens as they mature. Always try to offer greens, but don't stress over the day to day stuff if they tend to not eat as much of their greens as you think they should. :)

-Jen

Bhavana

I just inhertited a bearded dragon who is about 3 years old, maybe a little younger. He was my brother's, and I know he used to eat kale and carrots because I witnessed him doing so. However, my SIL just yanked some kale from the bunch and gave it to him without even washing it- so I am worried that he has consumed a lot of pesticides.

I have had him a few weeks, and like the OP says, he will now only eat worms. The guy at Petsmart sold me some crickets, told me to dump all 20 in the aquarium, which I did - but he only ate about 5 so for the past week there have been 15 crickets running all over the place. He isn't eating them, and he does not eat the fresh greens - kale, parsley, papaya, etc. I give him daily. I am have been trying to read up and give him the things that he did not get in the past, like a water bowl - which he never had, and seems to love sitting in~!, better lighting, and more worms. My brother fed him 3 worms a few times a week, plus greens daily....but now that he is not eating the greens, I am giving him 4 worms 2x a day. Is this hurting him? Should I hold back the worms to get him to eat the greens?

I must add, he looks better since I got him. He seems to have gained weight and is much more alert...though he does have days that he sleeps all day, which concerns me. HE also had these red scabby looking marks on his chin which are now gone.

Please someone give me some advice. I read so much conflicting info online. I just want to do what is best for him, and provide him with a quality life. If I can't, I will find someone else who can.

Erok000

Hatchling Member
The scabs are prolly from the crickets biting him. I would not leave them in overnight or for extended periods.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I swear getting a dragon to eat veggies is even harder than trying to get a kid to eat them! :shock:

For starters, here's an awesome list of foods that can be fed daily/sometimes/never; I call it the "beardie nutrition bible" hehe ;) http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Our 4 year old male will only eat worms and won't touch his greens/fruits/veggies (aka "salad") either! Here are the ideas I've found so far on how to get a dragon to eat his/her salad-
1. Try different-sized pieces of greens; some dragons like enormous leaves and some like bite-sized pieces
2. Add color/variety to the salad with bits of something colorful to make it look more interesting
3. You can try putting the worms in the salad to make it move and catch the beardie's interest, but most dragons have pretty good "tongue aim" and pick out the worms with deadly precision lol
4. Put a "dressing" on the salad. The dressing can be unsweetened juice, baby food, squished fruit, etc (as long as the fruit/veggie itself is safe for dragons, the juice and babyfood versions will be fine as well! Just make sure there aren't any added sugars or sodium or sketchy chemicals).

I've heard a lot of people have success with the salad dressing method, and I plan on trying all of these as soon as my big grump finishes brumating! :)

Bhavana

Erok000, the scabs on his face were there when I got him, and have slowly disappeared since he has been in my care. I do want to get the crickets out of there, though. They are really annoying.

One thing I don't think is adequate for "Wubzy" is the lighting. I don't think he has enough heat for proper basking and digesting. I am planning on fixing that this week.

I will try the suggestions about the veggies. I've already tried adding yellow stuff, since I hear they are attracted to yellow. I'll also try adding baby food and ripping the leaves into different sizes. Hope something works! I guess if feeding him a lot of worms won't hurt, I can continue giving him 6 to 8 a day.

Thanks!

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Same problem here, but sometimes bright colored salad works well. My favorites (and used to be Mustashios favorite!) is dark green collard greens, with grated deep orange butternut squash, sprinkled with some red bell pepper and some purple cabbage. It's beautiful! Maybe Mustashio thinks it is now too pretty to eat! :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom