Adult Bearded Dragon Attacked By Ferret

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansleyak

I have a 2 year old bearded dragon that is male. I got him as a rescue as he had some bone disease complications and is undersized for his age. I recently got an 11 week old female ferret. They get along well but recently the ferret got out of her cage (we don't know how) and she jumped INTO the aquarium with the bearded dragon. We heard a thud and quickly got the ferret out but she had already severely hurt the bearded dragons face. It appears that his top and bottom gums and teeth are turned out, I don't know if they are ripped or severely swollen. His eye on that side also is swollen and bleeding with two puncture wounds at the bridge of his nose. I don't know what to do in order to help him besides taking him to vet which isn't a likely option for me.. Is there anything I can do for pain for him?

ansleyak

Original Poster
* I also would like to add that the ferret and the beardie usually get along well, he doesn't puff up and she is playful and energetic - never mean. My husband & I socialize them together often and have had ZERO issues. But we did not leave them alone unattended, she somehow got out of her large three tiered cage. I don't know what would have happened besides a territory issue since she jumped into his aquarium.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, what a horrible accident !!! Poor thing, it sounds like he needs immediate vet care. Is there any way you can get someone to put it on their credit card if you can't afford it ? There is a credit card specifically for such emergencies, I can't remember the name....maybe care credit ? Someone else may know. Keep in mind that he is in pain, and if the injuries are sever enough it may be best to end his suffering. I would say to post a picture but I don't know if you feel it's too severe. Even bloody wounds can heal without a vet, but a crushed jaw + skull will possibly lead to a slow death. If the wounds were not too severe you could apply raw honey....it's natural and powrful antimicrobial and works as good or better than most ointments. But if he is disfigured, only a vet can put him back together. You'll want to see about that ASAP ! I'm so sorry for all involved. :(

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I believe care credit is the most common one, some vets offer payment plans too. I agree if the damage is severe a vet is probably needed. I don't think there are over the counter pain remedies that are safe for reptiles, so you'd need a vet for that. Not sure about ferrets but cat bites tend to get infected easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom