Administering Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossLady3

Well we were able to get the parasites under control thanks to a few doses of Albon, but now we are having to treat my guy fora respiratory infection. He is getting .12ml once daily of Baytril but unlike the albon, this isnt flavored and he showed immediate dislike for this new medication.

I mixed his dosage with some apple sauce because I knew it was going to be bitter, but I didnt realize untill after I drew up the medicine that flavoring it with the apple sauce is going to be difficult because it doesnt really "mix" well in the tiny syringe. poor guy noticed when the medicine started and the applesauce ended... followed by a black beard for an hour.

He has been under special care for about 2 months now. thats almost daily administration of either a wormer, medicine, or critical care since he doesnt want to eat his greens. the syringe doesnt bother him too much but this dose of baytril did!

Are there any easier ways to give the baytril? Can I inject a feeder with it or will that compromise the medicine? I know the bottle states not to give too much of certain things two hours before and after giving the baytril and some of the other medicines also warn their effectiveness are not the same if injected into a feeder. It is doable to continue the way I have but I hate stressing him like that.

Im going to go get some actual fruit juice this evening for his "morning" dose

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
I have injected feeders and the antibiotic still worked. Fruti juce also works well.

Are you giving a probiotic of any sort?

Kalyn

BossLady3

Original Poster
Yes, he gets a half dropper full of Acidophiliz+ two hours after baytril, and an hour after the Albon (when he was getting it). Im very vigilant about giving the probiotics and I always have a spare bottle in the fridge.

I noticed today while hes sleeping that hes breathing in more and the flem sound is worse, is that a good sign? is he going to get worse before he gets better? the vet didnt say anything about if I need to let the mucus drain or not.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
I would give antibiotic in the morning and probiotic in the evening just to be sure that they aren't affecting eachother at all.

When Tyrus had an RI it seemed to get better for a day then worse for two then better and better after that.

Hopefully this helps!

Kalyn

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
I swear my girl can detect medicine a mile away, I tried mixing it with juice and she spits it out, she loves applesauce and tried that but she spits it out, I've tried injecting crickets or dubia roaches, even giving her a few normal then the medicated one and as soon as she bites down on it she spits it out so now I have to take the needle off the syringe, hold her in my palm with my pointer finger between her front legs and thumb over her back (gently, of course :) then I put my pointer finger on the spikes right in front of her ear and kind of push down real light and it makes her lip almost fold down but it's just enough where I can stick the tip of the syringe in the side of her mouth and most of them will bite down on the syringe and just squirt it in her mouth. It's the ONLY way I can get meds in her! Lol it sounds much more complex than it really is, it's simple, quick and doesn't hurt them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stihlgirl
Top Bottom