Adlult shedding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,

Eragon, who is about 2 years old, is trying to shed (I hope! Or he's got some awful skin condition! LOL) most of his tail is milky white, as is most of his head, 3 out of 4 legs, and his sides. Ive bathed him in Shed-Ease twice now, and put some aloe vera on him this morning.... it doesnt look loose yet, there's no peeling or flaking anywhere, and he's acting completely normal. He's looked like this for about a week. How long do adults typically take to shed?

Oh, I just noticed Sunny's tail looks like this too.

Help? Anyone?

HUGS!

Sandi

Tigg

Juvie Member
I have seen Iggy go pretty dull and milky looking in spots for up to 3 weeks before, then one morning her enclosure has little pieces of skin EVERYWHERE and she's basking showing off her new bright colours.

I would honestly say to cut back on the baths for a little while, or at least until he begins to actually shed. And I wouldn't use shed ease or aloe vera unless he is having a problem with retaining shed. Keeping his skin more moist than normal may be prolonging the process.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
I feel your worry! I went through this when I brought home my first juvie after having an adult who never shed.
Ive learnt that subadults can take much longer to shed than babies who seem to get through every shed in a week.
Some spots take longer than others to shed.
Rubens tough spots are the back of his neck and on his nubs. These have taken over three weeks to shed before, so dont be worried by a one week wait.
Generally what happens is it looks completely the same for days/weeks then one day it cracks and begins to peel

Im sure your dragon is just going through a shed. This is picture of a very sulky Ruben shedding his head and tail:
DSC00792.jpg

In terms of conditioning and treating I would ease up aswell. He should be able to get through his shed without any special measures like aloe or shed ease.
I tend to not apply vitamin E or aloe to shed until it is proving to be a long one, so at about the two week mark.
I would like to respectfully disagree with Tigg that baths dont help. I do believe they help shedding, as shed does not need to be dry in order to 'crack'. Shed will come away when the scales underneath are fully formed and ready to be exposed.
Warm baths will help when the first bits of shed start to come away. I always find that my youngster Miso's shed will start to come away in the water (usually around her toes) due to the heat and the gentle resistance they get from moving through the water.

All the best.
Holly

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok,

Thanks so much! That helps alot! My poor Eragon looks alot like that... plus he has patches here and there. I'll try to post a picture later! It makes sense to just leave it alone.... I'll do that!

HUGS!

Sandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom