Adhesive for tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
I am just getting ready to tile my viv. I am just finishing a custom plywood cage and want to use permanent tiles this time. I hate removing tiles and running up and down stairs to clean them.

My question is what kind of adhesive is safe to use to hold the tiles down. I would like to avoid a thin set because of the weight. I am going to grout and seal the tiles after.

Any other advise is more than welcome with regards to permanently installing these tiles. I haven't got the new tiles yet. I am assuming rougher ceramic tiles will be ok.

Thanks.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Wood glue should hold the tiles fine without any flexing if you don't want to use thinset - as for the weight: Your tiles are going to add the bulk of the weight, thinset is pretty light by itself :)

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What about grout and sealer? I saw premixed grout with sealer mixed right in for a one step solution. Would that work as long as it is low VOC?

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
I didn't seal my tiles down, but we grouted and cut everything so it fit pretty snugly. With the grout on top, there's no way things can get underneath, and the tiles aren't budging.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I ended up gluing the tile down with PL Premium and grouting. I found a waterbased sealer at Lowes. It worked out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom