acting different/new viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

rytoledo

my little buddy artimus, aka artie is about 3.5 months old now and growing like a beast, eating a bunch of dubia's/silkies/crickets everyday, poops 1-2 times a day, loves to be held, basically doing fantastic. i placed him in his new 3x2x2 critter condo w/ fake rock that i just finish building today and for the first time he puffed up and tired to bite my girlfriends hand when she tried to pick him up. he didnt puff up his beard when i fed him some dubia's earlier that day. but this was the first and only time he seemed irritated and looked like he was ready to bite. im just basically concerned because he's never done this before. thoughts?

he has a reptiglo 10.0 uvb, basking spot is 105 degrees and cool side is 85 degrees. shelf lining substrate. offer daily greens and squash w/ occasional raspberries/blueberries.

szubelak

Juvie Member
it's probably just "relocation stress" - I would recommend approaching him slower then usual when going to pick him up or reaching into is viv - just to help from startling him - make sure he sees and hears you before you reach in is what I'm saying. Don't become afraid of him - you can't let him think that his behavior is acceptable. Good Luck!

Lesley

szubelak

Juvie Member
Oh - and before someone else says it - from what I've read on here - people don't recommend the "reptiglo" brand - they all say reptisun is better - not sure why etc but just fyi - might be worth researching from the veterans around here

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
I know this isnt what you posted about, but the reason the reptiglo is not reccomend is because of the amount of uvb it emits. Theres been reports of it causing eye problems and health issues, and even some cases of MBD. The reason reptisun is reccomended is because it emits the proper amount of uvb for a bearded dragon. Just keep an eye on your beardie that hes not shutting his eyes alot / keeping them closed or shying away from the uvb. Im not sure how long youve had it, but if its less than 30-60 days old and you have the receipt you can return it, or even if you just have the box petsmart and petco will do a store credit, and if its closer to 6 months old it would be time to get a new one anyway and you could get the reptisun. Is the reptiglo a tube or coil? For now, make sure hes at least 12" from it to be safe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom