Abusive Pet Store Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure where to put this, but I just HAD to share. For those of you who didn't see it,
This was the horror story I ran into with my first bearded dragon, Fluffy 1:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=135143

When I went down to the pet store this afternoon to pick up some feeders and a new bulb, the man who usually gets me my bugs was talking to me about how a pet store closed down, and they recieved all of their un-sold animals. Curiously, I asked which one closed down, and why.

It was the pet store I bought Fluffy from! And the story as to why they were shut down was shocking! The pet store owner, we'll call him Jay, was in Russia during one point, and he smuggled a highly venomous, illegal-to-own (in the top 3 most poisonus list) russian scorpion (don't recall the name) back into Canada. In his shop he put this item up for sale. Know what else he did? Changed the name to a non-venomous breed and was trying to pass it off as a beginner arachnid.

So, after that ordeal, all of their animals went to my local pet shop. We saw some of the critters that came from the store but most of them were at the store owner/employee's homes, being nursed back to health. Nearly ALL of the snakes had MBD, had not eaten in approx. 4 months, and on top of that these adult, full grown snakes were all being housed together in a 15 gallon tank.
They also recieved a number of geckos, all which had deformed spines from severe MBD, they also got a lot of extremely agressive, stressed out tarantulas that won't stop flicking hairs at the workers, hopefully these aren't illegal species too!
Among the stock there was also a clutch of young bearded dragons, all housed together on sand without a UVB light, they seem to be developing the early signs of MBD and have been fed iceburg lettuce and mealworms all their life.

I feel deeply, deeply saddened that so many of these animals are going to die and won't make it, but I can rest easy knowing that they can't ever open up another shop and hurt animals again.

jjh1

Juvie Member
wow thats great news the petshop was close I hope he goes to jail for along time and is fined huge.

But on a sadder note I feel horrible about those abused animals thats just truely sad :(

Where in Canada are you I am from the West Coast in BC :)

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
The reason I ask is because I find this story to be a little weird and I can check businesses for there violations so would like to confirm this

Torridnexus

Original Poster
The pet store was named "Kritters and fins" Owned by a couple, in Victoria BC. though this all supposedly -just- happened so I don't think there's any info going around about it yet. I couldn't find too much on the net, but in person I know the SPCA has had to visit them countless times on reports of abuse, and that there's a bearded dragon rescue who get -tons- of reptiles from them.

Torridnexus

Original Poster
Rud3Bwoy":ma6ai5yf said:
Sucks if anyone bought that critter he imported and didn't know. What it was

I believe the scorpion is with the SPCA now and will likely have to be killed as it's illegal and very poisonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom