About to go get my new family member!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid101

So soon I will be heading off to more-than-likely buy the new member of our family, Sid. Before I choose one out, what could you guys help me out with in choosing one? What should I look for in the Beardie before purchase?
Thanks!

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
Congratulations! Or almost!

Look at their eyes!
Bright but not glossy, you should be able to see ALL parts of the eye, not a glossy bulb!
It should be a little plumper than the rest. Don't worry about the one shedding, that's a good sign he's/she's eating good and it's growing....as long as the eyes look good.

Look for one that's alert, but not nervous...they might all act nervous, just choose one that is less nervous, but not lethargic!
Just watch them for a while, no sudden movements...and don't tap on the glass!

Of course, the one that comes to the edge of the glass and looks at you...has just CHOSE you!

Ask if you can just put your hand in the tank, very slowly, just leave your hand there...the one that doesn't run away and/or 'taste' you with their tongue is YOURS!

Holding them?
They all might be skid-ish/jumpy, babies are all skid-ish but the calm one or the one that's calmer than the others.......is THE ONE!

Is your tank/home ready?
Tell us about it.
Light? Reptisun 10.0 tube florescent, not the coil bulb
Substrate? (whats on the floor)
Food?
Hot side temperatures and cool side temps? Ceramic base light fixture and a light bulb or ceramic heater, not a heating pad or heating rock.
And how your measuring those temps? Probe thermometer or dial type...which is in-accurate.

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
Oh, and about the name Sid...great name, nothing wrong with it, but wait until you see him/her!
Keep that option open!

When I went to get mine, there were two to choose from, I had every intention of naming him/her Tesla, after the scientist.
The name Angel also was in my mind.

After talking to him...(the female was WAY too jumpy), and calling him Tesla, he looked at me funny, half cocking his head..gave me that 'beardie stink eye'!

He decided he liked ANGEL better! Angel, from the TV series!

mustang611

Look for the one that is active, curious and follows your movements. Be sure it has all its toes and tail. It's tail should be held high and curled (if it's a juvenile or baby) to show that it is alert and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom