? about leaving baby beardie alone for a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My husband bought a 2 month old bearded dragon for my son this past weekend and we are busily trying to find out how best to care for him. So far he seems to be adjusting fairly well. He is eating well, fairly calm when handled, basking well and pooping! Unfortunately my husband didn't think about the fact that we are going camping this weekend (already paid for with a group) before he got this new little beardie. So my question is should I find someone to keep him while we are gone and maybe further aggravate his adjustment period since he'll be somewhere different or would he be O.K. if we left him at home by himself? We won't be leaving until after lunch time on Friday and we'll be back Saturday evening late so I could feed him his share of crickets Friday before we leave and I could leave a salad (although he isn't really interested in those) that he could munch on but he wouldn't have any food all of Saturday. Is that too drastic for a baby? I saw someone else post about some sort of capsule food--maybe I could find some of that to leave for Saturday? What would you recommend to be less disturbing for him?

MBrian

Juvie Member
I wouldnt recommend you leave him alone for a day I seen some stories where they had problems with their beardies leaving them without food for a day or two. Of course in my honest opinion I think he will do fine if you did for a day but Istill wouldnt do it.

If you have to is there a way you can get crickets or whatever he eats ready in a tupperware with a lid so that you can have someone just come to your house open it and feed him. As long as he eats at least once a day he should be just fine.You can also break the legs off your crickets and put a good amount in a tupperware he can access throughout the next day but he might eat them all the day you leave, if you do make sure you have it so it wont tip over because you dont want any loose ones in his enclosure.

Overall he should do ok but if I were you I would try to do everything you can to at least make sure he's able to eat the most he can.

SpottyBeard

Original Poster
MBrian said:
You can also break the legs off your crickets and put a good amount in a tupperware he can access throughout the next day but he might eat them all the day you leave, if you do make sure you have it so it wont tip over because you dont want any loose ones in his enclosure.

Thanks for that idea. That sounds like it might work (although I think I'll make my husband break off the legs :puke: )

bjvolk2

I personally think he would be fine a day without food, because I am in college and will leave Tyson alone for a day when I go home on some weekends and he always has been fine even as a baby. I feed him a big meal on friday before I leave along with a bath and do the same when I get back sunday morning. I just leave a big salad in there with him and some worms in the bowl. I do not leave crickets because they tend to crawl on him at night. Hope this helps.

TamiLynne

Hatchling Member
I have left Brock alone for a day/day & 1/2 a couple of times when we have gone camping. He does just fine as long as I feed/bathe him right before we go, and leave a nice big salad on the cool end so it doesn't get crispy, along with a nice helping of worms. My boyfriend then proceeds to make fun of me every time I mention Brock while we're gone, and laugh at how I rush to snuggle and feed him before I even shower myself when we return. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom