About Abusive Beardie Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry your dragon passed away. Very sad...

But kingofnobbies be careful about wishing regulations on reptile ownership. Trust me I know where your coming from, but its not a good way to approach the problem. Regulation makes it hard for anyone to own a reptile...and most reptile owners are not abusive. Most of the people on this list would not be able to jump through the governmental hoops to own a bearded dragon. Most of the people on the list are fantastic dragon owners.

I have been totally frustrated by the current regulations on venomous animals. I do not need a license to keep my gila monsters or beaded lizards in my state. However some states don't allow ownership, others are restrictive and requires permits. The laws are always on the cusp of being adopted in many states. I can not sell any animals to people in states that have regulations on ownership. I cant vend at expos in those states. That isnt a good thing...it hurts the hobby. It keeps people from attempting captive breeding efforts. It discourages ownership and gives reptiles a worse reputation than they already have.
When my Mexican beaded lizards hatch they will not be sold to anyone under 21 y/o. The potential owner will have to have knowledge of venomous reptiles and be aware that a bite could be very, very painful (I know firsthand) at the very least.
The better solution is to regulate who you sell animals to. Don't let the government take total control of the hobby...that is never a good thing. The government always screws things up, and the people that make the decisions usually don't know much about the animals they regulate.
It helps if the animals are more expensive, which bearded dragons are not. Basically they have become throw away pets, like goldfish.
But my animals will be priced at $550-$1250 each, hardly anyone can throw away that much money. It pretty much assures they will be well taken care of.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Anyone who abuses an animal is scum. The lowest of the low.

I'm sorry bout your beardy. I'm glad he was loved before he had to go.

Ghoul

You should tell the woman you bought him from to warn other pet stores about them - don't want them doing the same thing again. I'm sorry about Mortimer - thank god there are people like you out there, so he died in a caring household.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Rankins":1zckj1t2 said:
Sorry your dragon passed away. Very sad...

But kingofnobbies be careful about wishing regulations on reptile ownership. Trust me I know where your coming from, but its not a good way to approach the problem. Regulation makes it hard for anyone to own a reptile...and most reptile owners are not abusive. Most of the people on this list would not be able to jump through the governmental hoops to own a bearded dragon. Most of the people on the list are fantastic dragon owners.

I have been totally frustrated by the current regulations on venomous animals. I do not need a license to keep my gila monsters or beaded lizards in my state. However some states don't allow ownership, others are restrictive and requires permits. The laws are always on the cusp of being adopted in many states. I can not sell any animals to people in states that have regulations on ownership. I cant vend at expos in those states. That isnt a good thing...it hurts the hobby. It keeps people from attempting captive breeding efforts. It discourages ownership and gives reptiles a worse reputation than they already have.
When my Mexican beaded lizards hatch they will not be sold to anyone under 21 y/o. The potential owner will have to have knowledge of venomous reptiles and be aware that a bite could be very, very painful (I know firsthand) at the very least.
The better solution is to regulate who you sell animals to. Don't let the government take total control of the hobby...that is never a good thing. The government always screws things up, and the people that make the decisions usually don't know much about the animals they regulate.
It helps if the animals are more expensive, which bearded dragons are not. Basically they have become throw away pets, like goldfish.
But my animals will be priced at $550-$1250 each, hardly anyone can throw away that much money. It pretty much assures they will be well taken care of.

YES NO MORE REGULATIONS. I live in California where it seems everything is illegal. Oh, but you want a rattlesnake? Sure, those are legal. But you want a GERBIL? HECK NO THOSE THINGS ARE SO DANGEROUS!!! Yup, that's the way our government works; rattlesnakes are legal but gerbils are not. Oh, and you can't have ANYTHING venomous (other than rattlesnakes) without jumping through a billion hoops (which I do and do not understand), you can't have ferrets, african clawed frogs, quaker parrots, sugar gliders, hedgehogs, and newts, and of course, they evil axolotl. :evil:

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on a rant, I just really needed to get that out os my system :oops:

And I am terribly sorry about your beardie. :cry:

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Haha...your not on a rant, just venting a bit :)
Sounds like you have run into some problems with regulations also. I'm always terrified laws regarding venomous in my state will change. If they do I will not be able to breed or sell my animals. Ownership would probably be grandfathered in and breeding and selling would be against the law. Since I'm disabled and trying to get my breeding program totally established it will eventually be my only source of income. It would negated the $20,000+ dollars I have spent trying to get things rolling.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Rankins":m3gi0l2v said:
Haha...your not on a rant, just venting a bit :)
Sounds like you have run into some problems with regulations also. I'm always terrified laws regarding venomous in my state will change. If they do I will not be able to breed or sell my animals. Ownership would probably be grandfathered in and breeding and selling would be against the law. Since I'm disabled and trying to get my breeding program totally established it will eventually be my only source of income. It would negated the $20,000+ dollars I have spent trying to get things rolling.

I hope they don't change the rules :eek:

Tylerman

Hatchling Member
I rescued my 7 year old male from my neighbors parents house. I was over there one day pett sitting and she mentioned something about her parents owning a dragon but they were away for a week. She said since I already had a beardie at the time, and plenty other reptiles, she said go over there and we will take him and I could keep him. So we go over there, I wanted to cry for him. 75 gallon tank, only light, a small uvb light. Substrate, dirt. And 3 flat rocks. He was almost all black, not moving too much, and super skinny. You could see all of his ribs. She told me she was feeding him a handful of mealworms once or twice a week. I took him home, he is in a 75 gallon tank, tile floor, 2 hides (one doubles as a hide and basking log), 4 lights (one basking, one night, one uvb, and one on the opposite side), salad every day, insects every other. And he gets attention. His thing, he is in love with the one cat. Every time he sees the cat, he wil run around his tank and headbob. He is also chunky now ;)

When it comes to animal abuse, I get very angry and probably shouldn't type out what I would want to do to the abusers. Hint, it involves a gun. :banghead: :angry5: It just pisses me off every time I see a story about a dog left in a car, a picture of an unhealthy beardie, looking at the care the stores give around here to the pets, looking at sad videos of abuse on internet. COME ON! WAKE UP PEOPLE! THEY HAVE FEELINGS TOO!!!!

I'm sorry for my rant. I couldn't hold it in... :/

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Tylerman":2eumlq91 said:
I rescued my 7 year old male from my neighbors parents house. I was over there one day pett sitting and she mentioned something about her parents owning a dragon but they were away for a week. She said since I already had a beardie at the time, and plenty other reptiles, she said go over there and we will take him and I could keep him. So we go over there, I wanted to cry for him. 75 gallon tank, only light, a small uvb light. Substrate, dirt. And 3 flat rocks. He was almost all black, not moving too much, and super skinny. You could see all of his ribs. She told me she was feeding him a handful of mealworms once or twice a week. I took him home, he is in a 75 gallon tank, tile floor, 2 hides (one doubles as a hide and basking log), 4 lights (one basking, one night, one uvb, and one on the opposite side), salad every day, insects every other. And he gets attention. His thing, he is in love with the one cat. Every time he sees the cat, he wil run around his tank and headbob. He is also chunky now ;)

When it comes to animal abuse, I get very angry and probably shouldn't type out what I would want to do to the abusers. Hint, it involves a gun. :banghead: :angry5: It just pisses me off every time I see a story about a dog left in a car, a picture of an unhealthy beardie, looking at the care the stores give around here to the pets, looking at sad videos of abuse on internet. COME ON! WAKE UP PEOPLE! THEY HAVE FEELINGS TOO!!!!

Trust me, I TOTALLY get you!! I'm wayyyy more of a animal than people person, so I get even more upset :?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Tylerman":2zcfymy7 said:

That is a lot more merciful than I would be, it is to quick and painless in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom