A Trip to Repticon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Neo's official birthday present is a bearded dragon. We build a viv (going to convert a dresser that we have) and in May we will go to Repticon where he can get his dragon. I have a few questions about this plan.

1. Am I overestimating our ability to get him a beardie at Repticon? Will there be a big selection? Or am I going to have a disappointed boy because there were all of two vendors with beardies there?

2. I have to choose which show to attend. My original plan was May 12-13 in Ft. Lauderdale. I was going to take him on the 13th. It's only an hour and a half drive and I figured we could go in the morning and come straight home. The other option is May 19-20 in Orlando. Downside is that's a four hour drive so we will have to make it a weekend event with a hotel stay on Saturday night. Now... turns out the Lauderdale show is on Mother's Day. Big downside. And he wants to bring his best friend to help pick his new dragon. That's only an option for Orlando show. There is also the consideration that I wanted to bring Fluffy along, and we will have a new dragon to bring home. If we choose the Orlando show I have to deal with housing and feeding the beardies. And if he gets a baby... Oh my!

I feel so completely overwhelmed. I don't even know which issues should be my biggest concerns here.

Anyone with some input would be appreciated. I want this to be a great experience for Neo. I want him to have a fantastic time and come home with a new pet that he will love. Help!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
At the Boise Repticon, the closest thing I saw to a bearded dragon was a uromastyx. This was pretty far for most of the show people to come, I'm guessing. I believe Rio Reptiles is in FL. I would email Cheryl to see if they will attend and what they might bring in terms of beardies. She may even have a few juvies that were holdbacks that might be for sale, and babies, I'm sure.

As far as choosing between locations, I would not want to keep a tiny beardie in a hotel overnight. But you might be braver than I. :)

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
For housing in the ride get a rubber maid container descent size it will only be a two day thing one for fluffy one for the new guy cut the lid and put screen if your car has a plug put the heat lamp on easy transportation

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
is there a list of vendors on the website?
the expos in Jersey usually list all the vendors who register.

I would go the the one that is closest to you, when i went to the expos in PA and NY i saw a lot of the same vendors. they usually travel to all the ones in the area.

we went all around the expo looking at every beardie vendor before choosing our baby girl. we knew we wanted a female, and the guy we bought her from, http://www.justlizardsinc.com/, looked like he really cared about all his babies. and all of them were around 2 months old, while other vendors had what looked like hatchlings :/

and he offered a guarantee for her gender and health.

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
We work pretty much all the Repticons in central Florida, I think Orlando would be the best show for you to go to, we'll be there (me and Rio Reptiles), Fairy Tale dragons is usually there too, and we usually have a couple of other breeders as well. Just stay away from all the wholesale tables, buy from a breeder for sure. Repticon is a good place to buy from and you're in Florida, so you have lots of chances to attend one. :)

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
They also usually have lists on their sites of the vendors that will be attending, however they sometimes wait until the last minute to update them, so check the dates. If you check early, chances are the vendor list that's on there is from the last show in that area.

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Im buying my Citrus Tiger baby from Cheryl and Jessica from RioReptiles. I was just there yesterday and I didnt want to leave at all! They care so much for their Dragons and I personally wouldn't buy from anyone else. I was very impressed in the way these ladies care for them omg. All of their beardies are amazing and very loving and so fun to watch!!!!!! I recommend RioReptiles if you want a lovey Dragon.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. My son is really shocking me. He is leaning towards the Ft. Lauderdale show. Less car time. One less week to wait for his new baby. Get it home and show it the new viv he built asap. Ha! Ha! He is so excited! It's crazy. :lol: I am soooooo glad we decided to do this for him!

And everyone here has been such a help with all of the responses to my posts about this. Yay BD.org!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom